This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.1095 / 51°6'34"N
Longitude: -4.1652 / 4°9'54"W
OS Eastings: 248526
OS Northings: 136696
OS Grid: SS485366
Mapcode National: GBR KL.B8NT
Mapcode Global: VH3Q7.RCDT
Entry Name: Gordons Farmhouse and Attached Barns
Listing Date: 14 November 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1107092
English Heritage Legacy ID: 98342
Location: Braunton, North Devon, Devon, EX33
District: North Devon
Civil Parish: Braunton
Built-Up Area: Braunton
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Braunton St Brannock
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SS 4836-4936 BRAUNTON NORTH STREET (west side) Braunton
12/96 Gordons Farmhouse and attached
House, formerly farmhouse, probably C16, much altered in C20 and extended into part
of right-angled cob barn at upper end, the remainder forming a garage. Further
rubble barn with loft over at rear north side. Rendered stone rubble and cob.
Slate roof with gable ends. 2-storeys in 3 cell plan, originally through-passage
but screen removed and stairs inserted. Large lateral stack on front with offsets,
whitewashed cob and rubble with pantiled roof, brick stacks at gable ends. C20
refenestration and most openings altered. Square-headed through-passage C20 door
with roll-moulded chamfered and stopped surround. Pantiled canopy.
Interior: Shouldered doorframe at upper end of hall. Chamfered timber lintel to
fireplace. Large beam just below fireplace is roughly chamfered towards lower end
and rounded off on hall side, probably evidence of former jetty but roof timbers
entirely replaced in C20. Rubble barn to rear has wooden loft door above 'stable'
plank door. Ventilation slits towards each end. First floor plank door at left
gable end with timber lintel. Cob barn has pantiled roof. The farmhouse is built
gable-end to the street and with Town Farm (q.v.) is an example of a centrally-
placed former village farmhouse in relation to Braunton's historic cellular town
plan, a nucleated settlement which still has its open field system, the West Field.
Listing NGR: SS4852636696
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings