This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.4046 / 50°24'16"N
Longitude: -3.8124 / 3°48'44"W
OS Eastings: 271301
OS Northings: 57646
OS Grid: SX713576
Mapcode National: GBR QD.PY3Q
Mapcode Global: FRA 27XZ.DKR
Entry Name: Doorway Adjoining North East Corner of Black Hall
Listing Date: 11 November 1952
Last Amended: 26 April 1993
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1108200
English Heritage Legacy ID: 101369
Location: North Huish, South Hams, Devon, TQ10
District: South Hams
Civil Parish: North Huish
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Diptford St Mary the Virgin
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
11.11.52 Doorway adjoining NE
corner of Black Hall
(formerly listed as
archway at Black
Doorway of former house, reused as garden gateway. Dated 1651. Granite.
Wide doorway with roll moulded segmental arch and jambs, the spandrels
carved with a scroll or arabesque design, the outer frame chamfered with a
small coat of arms above and date 1651; the whole framed by a label with
flowers carved in the stops. Reseat in a garden wall adjoining the north
east corner of Black Hall (qv).
From the mid C17 Black Hall was the seat of the Fowells of Fowellscombe,
their main seat in Ugborough parish (qv), and now in ruins. In 1815 Black
Hall was sold to Hubert Cornish who built the present house and reused this
doorway from the old house.
Listing NGR: SX7130157646
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings