This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.3077 / 54°18'27"N
Longitude: -2.8809 / 2°52'51"W
OS Eastings: 342780
OS Northings: 490586
OS Grid: SD427905
Mapcode National: GBR 8LBM.2L
Mapcode Global: WH82T.QZBK
Entry Name: Farm Outbuilding East South East of High Birks Farmhouse
Listing Date: 11 February 1994
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1109680
English Heritage Legacy ID: 351993
Location: Crosthwaite and Lyth, South Lakeland, Cumbria, LA8
District: South Lakeland
Civil Parish: Crosthwaite and Lyth
Traditional County: Westmorland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria
Church of England Parish: Crosthwaite St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Carlisle
SD 49 SW,
CROSTHWAITE AND LYTH,
Farm outbuilding east-south-east of High Birks Farmhouse
Farm outbuilding. Dated 1853, with minor C20 alterations. Rubble water-shot Lakeland-stone walling, with limestone quoining and dressings, and a Westmorland slate roof laid
to diminishing courses. Bank barn type of linear form with substantial rear outshots
flanking upper side entry. 2-storey with overlofts to outshots, five bays with central access on high side (north) to threshing and winnowing floor and fodder storage. South
elevation with shallow ground floor canopy extending the full length of the building,
supported on long stone canopy corbels (mostly now failing). Four single doorways and a cart entry together with a single small square window at the west end. Only the east end doorway and the window are undisturbed; the other openings having been modified to form additional windows. Central first floor winnowing doorway beneath deep lintel with inscribed date stone above which reads J.C. 1853'. Tier of slit breathers below projecting eaves supported on moulded stone corbels. East and west side elevations altered, but with stable doorways and windows beneath single massive lintels and with loft doors above. The rear outshots are entered through side doors beneath a canopy which shelters the double doorway to the winnowing floor. One of the largest of the surviving C19 bank barns in the Lake District.
Listing NGR: SD4278090586
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings