This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.5628 / 51°33'46"N
Longitude: -0.1801 / 0°10'48"W
OS Eastings: 526244
OS Northings: 186447
OS Grid: TQ262864
Mapcode National: GBR D0.77T
Mapcode Global: VHGQK.TZNC
Entry Name: Jack Straws Castle Public House
Listing Date: 14 May 1974
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1113189
English Heritage Legacy ID: 477614
Location: Camden, London, NW3
Electoral Ward/Division: Hampstead Town
Built-Up Area: Camden
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: Christ Church Hampstead
Church of England Diocese: London
TQ2686SW NORTH END WAY
798-1/16/1220 (West side)
14/05/74 Jack Straw's Castle Public House
Public house. 1962-64. By Raymond Erith, built by GE Wallis
and Sons; on the site of a previous public house of the same
name. Timber-framed construction on brick plinth, clad with
painted weatherboarding. Tiled double hipped roofs.
STYLE: in the style of an C18 coaching inn.
PLAN: open sided courtyard plan with single storey staff
accommodation block and garages forming south wing.
EXTERIOR: long principal elevation of 3 storeys and cellars.
Upper floors with continuous ranges of 20 sashes each, 2nd
floor having pointed Gothick lights. Ground floor has vehicle
entrance to courtyard to left, sashes and 4 canted bay
windows; left hand pair flanks entrance with overlight and
sash to right, right hand pair flanks entrance with overlight
and sidelights. Single windows to right hand bay indicate
interior stair. Projecting bracketed cornice and wooden
North return with single storey entrance projection and 4
storey tower (contains lift); similar tower at south-west
corner of courtyard containing water tanks. Attached to west
facade of north wing and facing into courtyard, a single
storey projection having an ogee arch with finials to panelled
niche with fitted bench seat. Rear with similar fenestration
to principal elevation on upper floors but ground floor having
pantiled gallery and 2nd floor with continuous cast-iron
balcony with tented hood.
INTERIOR: with exposed Douglas fir stanchions and beams bolted
at angles with iron plates. Ground floor with continuous
tongue and groove pine-panelled bar having fireplaces at
either end and to the side bar, these with Erith's initials in
the grate. Dog-leg stair with panelled dado, square newels,
closed string and fretwork balusters leads to function room,
restaurant, and tower bar, all with panelling, the
second-floor restaurant with high fixed leather-upholstered
benches and tables, the adjoining tower bar with bar counter
and fixed pine seating - all part of Erith's concept.
HISTORICAL NOTE: the present building replaced an early C18
public house (not in the same style) altered in the early C19
and bombed in the Second World War; the name commemorates Jack
Straw, Wat Tyler's second-in-command during the Peasants'
Revolt of 1381, who is said to have had a camp here.
(Archer L: Raymond Erith, Architect: Burford, Oxon: -1985: 88,
167; The Builder: 29 May 1964: London: 1119-23).
Listing NGR: TQ2624486447
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings