This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.5624 / 51°33'44"N
Longitude: -0.1801 / 0°10'48"W
OS Eastings: 526246
OS Northings: 186405
OS Grid: TQ262864
Mapcode National: GBR D0.77Y
Mapcode Global: VHGQK.TZNN
Entry Name: Old Court House
Listing Date: 14 May 1974
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1113192
English Heritage Legacy ID: 477617
Location: Camden, London, NW3
Electoral Ward/Division: Hampstead Town
Built-Up Area: Camden
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: Christ Church Hampstead
Church of England Diocese: London
TQ2686SW NORTH END WAY
798-1/16/1221 (West side)
14/05/74 Old Court House
Detached house, now converted to retirement home flatlets.
Early C18 with late C18 and early C19 alterations and
additions. Multi-coloured stock brick. Extensions with slated
Central bay of 3 storeys and cellar flanked by 2 storey later
extensions. Windows 2:3:2, the centre 3 blind. Central doorway
with Doric doorcase under glass and timber porch. Mostly
gauged red brick flat arches to recessed sashes with exposed
boxing. Southern extension has a ground floor canted bay
window with ogee penthouse roof.
INTERIOR: hall has distyle-in-antis timber Ionic screen and
chimney-piece with Ionic three quarter columns, egg-and-dart
cornice, and frieze panels with a cartouche flanked by
foliage. Stair of column on vase balusters with fluted
Composite capital newel. Understood to retain other features
HISTORICAL NOTE: known variously as Heath View, Earlsmead and
the Old Court House. This latter name coined as late as 1926
when the house was bought by Mr Campbell Hunter. The name
referred to the fact that during the 1850s the house was
occupied by the Dunnett Estate Office: Dunnett was the Manor
Surveyor at that period, and a seemingly spurious connection
with manorial courts (which were actually held at the original
Jack Straw's Castle) was thus stressed.
Listing NGR: TQ2624686405
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings