This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.1837 / 52°11'1"N
Longitude: -0.6093 / 0°36'33"W
OS Eastings: 495176
OS Northings: 254852
OS Grid: SP951548
Mapcode National: GBR F02.2RD
Mapcode Global: VHFPZ.DC7T
Entry Name: Parish Church of Saint Mary
Listing Date: 13 July 1964
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1114248
English Heritage Legacy ID: 36894
Location: Carlton and Chellington, Bedford, MK43
Civil Parish: Carlton and Chellington
Built-Up Area: Carlton
Traditional County: Bedfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Bedfordshire
Church of England Parish: Carlton with Chellington
Church of England Diocese: St.Albans
CARLTON AND CHELLINGTON TORVEY ROAD
SP 95 SE
8/116 Parish Church of
Parish Church of coursed limestone rubble with clay tile roofs. Plan
consisting of 2-bay chancel, 3-bay nave and N. and S. aisles, W. tower and S.
porch. There are some remains of Anglo-Saxon work in the N. wall of the
chancel and the base of the tower. The nave was originally aisleless. The S.
aisle was added early C14. The arcade has octagonal piers. The N. aisle is
slightly later and has quatrefoil piers. Above the arcades, a clerestorey was
added C15 with three windows to each side, each of two trefoiled lights under
a square head. The Anglo-Saxon chancel was extended eastwards in C14. (There
was a C14 S.chapel - since demolished). 3 stage tower. Top stage C15 with
embattled parapet and gargoyles at each corner. C.15 chancel screen. Most of
the pews and the pulpit are Jacobean.
Listing NGR: SP9517654852
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings