This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.4827 / 51°28'57"N
Longitude: -0.6194 / 0°37'9"W
OS Eastings: 495967
OS Northings: 176878
OS Grid: SU959768
Mapcode National: GBR F8D.SB6
Mapcode Global: VHFT8.6ZXQ
Entry Name: Church of St Stephen
Listing Date: 2 October 1975
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1117684
English Heritage Legacy ID: 40600
Location: Windsor and Maidenhead, SL4
County: Windsor and Maidenhead
Electoral Ward/Division: Castle Without
Built-Up Area: Windsor
Traditional County: Berkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Berkshire
Church of England Parish: Clewer St Stephen with Spital
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 20/09/2016
SU 97 NE 8/247
Church of St Stephen
1874 by Henry Woodyer. Very plain but large stock brick church, no tower. Tall clerestory, low windows to aisles. These windows have on the inside detached shafts set in front. Tall simple nave arcades, chancel with apse. Imposing reredos with croaketed gable over figure of Christ, flanked by paired shafts with rings.
A war memorial in the form of a hooded timber Calvary with a painted carved figure of Christ erected on 12 March 1918, is attached to an outside wall. The top arm of the cross has a small white painted scroll with INRI on it. To the right of the cross, set into the church wall, is a slate plaque which is inscribed: THIS CALVARY/ WAS DEDICATED IN 1918/ TO THE MEMORY OF/ ALL THOSE FROM THIS PARISH/ WHO SERVED THEIR COUNTRY/ AND THOSE WHO DID NOT RETURN./ IT WAS RESTORED IN 2013.
Listing NGR: SU9596776878
This List entry has been amended to add sources for War Memorials Online and the War Memorials Register. These sources were not used in the compilation of this List entry but are added here as a guide for further reading, 26 October 2017.
Other nearby listed buildings