This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.4874 / 51°29'14"N
Longitude: -0.1744 / 0°10'27"W
OS Eastings: 526851
OS Northings: 178070
OS Grid: TQ268780
Mapcode National: GBR 5N.1Z
Mapcode Global: VHGQY.XWP5
Entry Name: 125, Old Church Street Sw3
Listing Date: 10 March 1998
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1119672
English Heritage Legacy ID: 469143
Location: Kensington and Chelsea, London, SW3
District: Kensington and Chelsea
Electoral Ward/Division: Stanley
Built-Up Area: Kensington and Chelsea
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: Chelsea St John with St Andrew
Church of England Diocese: London
TQ 3281 SW OLD CHURCH STREET, SW3
House with artist's studio, originally two houses. Circa 1804, originally two houses, amalgamated and altered in 1909 by William and Evelyn De Morgan. Stuccoed with roof concealed by parapet but central stock brick chimneystack visible. Three storeys; two windows except for artist's studio window on second floor. Moulded eaves cornice interrupted by central tall four-light studio window. First floor has French windows in moulded architraves with cornices and brackets and tall casements on ground floor, both of mid C19 type. Central portico with Tuscan columns and above a cast iron balcony extending in front of the first floor windows. Blue Plaque between first floor windows. Rear elevation has casement windows. Attached to front and rear is a stuccoed wall, the front wall having balusters and gatepiers with pyramidal caps. Interior not inspected and may have interesting features. William De Morgan, famous for his formative influence on the Arts and Crafts movement and to some extent on Art Nouveau, perhaps the greatest of all English ceramic artists, was also wen known as a novelist when he lived here and he died here in 1917. The original houses of c1804 were part of Bolton Place prior to 1867 and may formerly have been part of Church Lane West.
Listing NGR: TQ2685178070
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings