This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.5697 / 51°34'10"N
Longitude: -0.7749 / 0°46'29"W
OS Eastings: 485003
OS Northings: 186355
OS Grid: SU850863
Mapcode National: GBR D5W.GX8
Mapcode Global: VHDWB.JT52
Entry Name: 88, High Street
Listing Date: 27 April 1998
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1119725
English Heritage Legacy ID: 469246
Location: Marlow, Wycombe, Buckinghamshire, SL7
Civil Parish: Marlow
Traditional County: Buckinghamshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Buckinghamshire
Church of England Parish: Great Marlow with Marlow Bottom, Little Marlow and Bisham
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
SU 8586 MARLOW HIGH STREET
826/1/10004 Number 88
House, with reputed Roman Catholic chapel possibly chapel folly; now commercial premises. C17 with C18 additions and alterations, including late C18 chapel-like structure; mid-C19 alterations for Clifford family, including re-fronting and raising eaves at front; further alterations early C20 and subsequently. Originally timber-framed with wattle and daub infill now stuccoed, at the front incised to look like ashlar, and painted, at the back with early C20 applied timber-framing. Plain tile roofs; brick stacks, at left end and to ridge near right end. 2 storeys with cellar; 2 framed bays with 2 gabled and one half-gabled rear additions. C20 leaded casement windows, those at front cross-windows and under console-bracketed cornices. Painted plinth; moulded lst-floor band; eaves band with paired brackets to boxed eaves. On right, stone step up to entrance which has plastered surround with pilasters, frieze, bracketed cornice and part-glazed and moulded panelled door. Oculus in architrave above door and 2 windows to left on each floor, of different sizes, and that at centre on lst floor in recessed panel. Narrow entrance to passage on left, inside which are visible the front and rear corner wall posts and the rear wall-plate. Interior: some large-scantling chamfered beams, some having lambs-tongue stops; some original joists in cellar; C17 roof structure has queen post trusses with collars, originally with central posts below, and clasped purlins; pegged morticed and tenoned rafters have carpenter's numerals. Cellar: c 1770-1830 reputed to have been used as Roman Catholic chapel and having; in shallow rectangular recess below pavement, plastered vault and pointed-arched side-recesses with raised surrounds, groins, bosses and strapwork; a small panel with illegible painted inscription to each side-recess; a low brick and timber plinth/bench running around recess, timber bressumer over recess opening supported on plastered brickwork. Print of 1812 shows the basement chapel. There is no evidence that there was a Roman Catholic congregation in Marlow prior to 1845 when the Scott Murrays, Oxford Movement converts, built a Pugin church and there would have been little need for a secret chapel after c1745 when the penalties for Catholic worship were progressively reduced. The print does not show a chapel in use and it is possible that it was built as a folly or dining den.
Listing NGR: SU8500386355
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings