History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

United Reformed Church

A Grade II* Listed Building in Terling, Essex

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.8043 / 51°48'15"N

Longitude: 0.5694 / 0°34'10"E

OS Eastings: 577249

OS Northings: 214867

OS Grid: TL772148

Mapcode National: GBR PJQ.SXQ

Mapcode Global: VHJJQ.TXD5

Entry Name: United Reformed Church

Listing Date: 13 March 1986

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1123410

English Heritage Legacy ID: 115462

Location: Terling, Braintree, Essex, CM3

County: Essex

District: Braintree

Civil Parish: Terling

Traditional County: Essex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex

Church of England Parish: Terling All Saints

Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford

Find accommodation in
Terling

Listing Text

TL 7714 TERLING CHURCH GREEN
(north-west side)

11/114 United Reformed
Church

GV II*

Congregational church. 1752-3, altered in C19. Red brick in Flemish bond with
dressings of blue brick, roofed with handmade red clay tiles. Rectangular plan
facing SE, with early C19 vestry to rear. One storey, but formerly with a
gallery, so externally of 2 storeys. 3-window range of cross windows, those on
the ground floor with segmental arches of red brick, those in the upper range
with flat heads of alternate red and blue bricks. Double 6-panel doors standing
forward in shallow gabled porch with flat brick arch and ball finial, added
1895. Recessed stone tablet over door inscribed 'Bvilded circa 1700, restored
1895' (the former date is erroneous). String course at first floor level.
Plaster coving below eaves. Hipped roof. Inscription low in right return, 'T.
Brown 1752' is probably by the master mason. In the rear elevation there are 2
altered windows at half-height, of 7 lights with semi-circular heads. The
interior was originally arranged with the pulpit on the long NW wall and
galleries on the other 3 sides; in 1895 the pulpit was moved to the short SW
wall and the galleries removed. The windows in the SW wall were blocked.
Marble tablet to the Reverend William Kemp, 1844, on SW wall.


Listing NGR: TL7724914867

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.