History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Boyton Hall Farmhouse

A Grade II Listed Building in Finchingfield, Essex

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.9781 / 51°58'41"N

Longitude: 0.4839 / 0°29'2"E

OS Eastings: 570695

OS Northings: 233989

OS Grid: TL706339

Mapcode National: GBR PGG.WQW

Mapcode Global: VHJHX.BJPX

Entry Name: Boyton Hall Farmhouse

Listing Date: 2 May 1953

Last Amended: 17 May 1985

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1123485

English Heritage Legacy ID: 115234

Location: Finchingfield, Braintree, Essex, CM7

County: Essex

District: Braintree

Civil Parish: Finchingfield

Traditional County: Essex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex

Church of England Parish: Finchingfield St John Baptist

Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford

Find accommodation in
Finchingfield

Listing Text

TL 73 SW FINCHINGFIELD TOPPESFIELD ROAD
(south side)

4/92 Boyton Hall Farmhouse
2.5.53 (Formerly listed as
Boyton Hall)
GV II

House. Mid-C16, altered c.1600 and in C20. Timber framed, plastered, roofed
with handmade red clay tiles. 5 bays facing NW, with axial stack at left end,
and 3-bay crosswing beyond, extending to rear, c.1600. Stair tower in rear
angle, c.1600. Single-storey extension to left of crosswing, C20. Main range of
2 storeys, crosswing of 2 storeys and attic. 3-window range of C20 casements.
Door in gabled porch, C20. 6 octagonal shafts on main stack, rebuilt at top
(serving 4 hearths). Original bargeboards on left gable, with carved guilloche
design. The interior has jowled posts, heavy studding with curved braces
trenched to the inside, the original main doorway with 4-centred head, blocked,
chamfered beams, chamfered joists of horizontal section with step stops. The
ground-floor hearth facing to right has ovolo-moulded brickwork above the mantel
beam, originally plastered but now stripped, a trace of a former painted text in
C16 lettering, and some new brickwork. At first floor there are 2 hearths with
depressed arches and recessed spandrels, one still with the original moulded
plaster, the other stripped, and a moulded 4-plank door, all c.1600. The stair
tower retains the original stair, with 2 octagonal newels and square finials,
moulded rails, and moulded straight balusters of unusual type. The roof of the
main range is of crownpost construction with thin axial braces, the crosswing of
clasped purlin construction. This house was built from the outset in 2 storeys
but of medieval plan, with a wide screens passage, 2-bay 'hall' and 2-bay
service end, but has developed in an untypical way in that a stack has been
inserted at the high end, forming a lobby-entrance, and the 3-bay crosswing has
replaced the original parlour/solar bay. Moated site. RCHM 6.


Listing NGR: TL7069533989

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.