History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Greylands

A Grade II Listed Building in Ongar, Essex

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.7041 / 51°42'14"N

Longitude: 0.2454 / 0°14'43"E

OS Eastings: 555250

OS Northings: 202986

OS Grid: TL552029

Mapcode National: GBR MGZ.2VY

Mapcode Global: VHHMP.6FKG

Entry Name: Greylands

Listing Date: 27 August 1952

Last Amended: 11 April 1984

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1124037

English Heritage Legacy ID: 117832

Location: Ongar, Epping Forest, Essex, CM5

County: Essex

District: Epping Forest

Civil Parish: Ongar

Built-Up Area: Chipping Ongar

Traditional County: Essex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex

Church of England Parish: Chipping Ongar with Shelley

Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford

Find accommodation in
North Weald

Listing Text

In the entry for the following:-

ONGAR
TL 5502 HIGH STREET(W side)
9/117 159(Greylands) Formerly
27/8/52 Listed as Greylands)
GV

It shall be noted that the grade is grade II

------------------------------------

TL 5502 ONGAR HIGH STREET (W side)
9/117 159 ( Greylands ) Formerly
27/8/52 listed as Greylands)

GV

House, now used in part as a Surgery. Circa 1834. Built by J. Berry to design
of T.M. Baynes. Gault brick with Stucco bands, rusticated quoins and ashlar
panelling to ground floor. 2 storeys. Projecting, moulded cornice to plain
parapet. 5 window range, of small paned double hung sashes in moulded surrounds
with frieze and small canopy; the centre window with moulded pediment. Matching
4 window range to ground floor, these recessed and with brackets under. Central
panelled door in moulded surround with light over. Heavy porch with Tuscan
columns and pilasters with moulded bases, plain frieze and cornice. 4 gault
brick chimney stacks. There are C19 cast iron crossbraced panel railings
extending right and left of porch to return walls.


Listing NGR: TL5525002986

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.