This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.5743 / 51°34'27"N
Longitude: -0.914 / 0°54'50"W
OS Eastings: 475354
OS Northings: 186716
OS Grid: SU753867
Mapcode National: GBR C4C.9Q7
Mapcode Global: VHDW8.3PMJ
Entry Name: Church of St Mary the Virgin
Listing Date: 21 June 1955
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1125702
English Heritage Legacy ID: 46675
Location: Fawley, Wycombe, Buckinghamshire, RG9
Civil Parish: Fawley
Built-Up Area: Fawley
Traditional County: Buckinghamshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Buckinghamshire
Church of England Parish: Fawley
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
FAWLEY FAWLEY GREEN
SU 78 NE
6/25 Church of St. Mary the
Parish church. Nave originally C12, altered; late C13 W. tower,
raised C16; chancel rebuilt and dated 1748; 1883 transepts,N. vestry
and restorations. Flint with stone dressings, tiled roofs. W.
tower has moulded parapet with shallow gables to N. and S., original
moulded corbel table, and C19 angle buttresses. C16 single lights
with chamfered semi-circular heads above and below corbel table;
partly restored 2-light traceried window of clunch to W. over C19
moulded doorway; lancets to N. and S., the S. C19, Nave has 2 bays
of C19 2-light traceried windows. Transepts have single lights to E.
or W. and 2-light traceried windows to N. and S., the S. transept
with cusped S. window, sill course and buttresses. Chancel has blocked
S. doorway with bonded surround of narrow bricks, semi-circular arch, and
brick imposts and keyblock. Large E. window with semi-circular arch and
off-set brick surround. Above window is date plaque with numbers in
tile ends. C19 vestry to N. of chancel. Interior: double chamfered tower
arch on semi-octagonal piers with painted texts; C19 double chamfered
arches to transepts; semi-circular chancel arch with narrow chamfer and
billet moulding. Chancel has modillion cornice and E. bay articulated
with Ionic pilasters. Early C18 panelling from chapel at Canons, made
for the Duke of Chandos, the E. bay panels enriched with mouldings.
4 panels along E. wall have carved gilt drops of fruit and flowers.
Similar spray of trefoil foliage above altar. Communion rail with
turned balusters is also from Canons, as are pulpit and reading desk.
Pulpit has moulded raised and fielded panels, richly carved base and
cornice, and corner drops with winged cherub heads. Simpler reading
desk with richly carved frieze. Chair of same date in chancel, mid
C17 chair in nave. Front pews in nave and S. transept pews have
ornamental scrolls of c.1700. Late C19 nave seating and stained glass.
Armorial glass of 1635 from Phyllis Court, Henley, in tower lancets.
Memorial window in vestry by John Piper 1976. Monument to Sir James
Whitelock d.1620 and wife Elizabeth d. 1631, in S. transept, with
recumbent white marble effigies in surround with open pediment on
Tuscan columns. Small carved figures of Fame and Peace on pediment.
Cartouche in nave to Philip and Elizabeth Hilfiar c.1719. Chancel
rebuilt by John Freeman of Fawley Court, transepts added by William
Mackenzie, also of Fawley Court, both families with a mausoleum in churchyard.
RCHM I p.155-6
Listing NGR: SU7535486716
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings