History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Boundary Wall, Gatepiers, Gates and Railings 18m south of Clevedon Pumping Station

A Grade II Listed Building in Clevedon, North Somerset

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.4409 / 51°26'27"N

Longitude: -2.8219 / 2°49'19"W

OS Eastings: 342967

OS Northings: 171641

OS Grid: ST429716

Mapcode National: GBR JF.NDVR

Mapcode Global: VH7C8.11HR

Entry Name: Boundary Wall, Gatepiers, Gates and Railings 18m south of Clevedon Pumping Station

Listing Date: 15 June 1982

Last Amended: 20 March 2015

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1129715

English Heritage Legacy ID: 33168

Location: Clevedon, North Somerset, BS21

County: North Somerset

Civil Parish: Clevedon

Traditional County: Somerset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset

Find accommodation in
Clevedon

Summary

Boundary wall, gatepiers, gates and railings. Built in 1901 and designed by Henry Dare Bryan for the Clevedon Waterworks Company.

Description

Boundary wall, gatepiers, gates and railings. Built in 1901 and designed by Henry Dare Bryan for the Clevedon Waterworks Company.

MATERIALS: coursed and squared Pennant rubble stone with wrought-iron railings and gates.

DETAILS: measuring approximately 75 metres and located along the southern boundary of the site is a dwarf rubble stone wall which has slightly battered piers and gatepiers at intervals, some with moulded capitals. The wall is surmounted by wrought-iron railings with flared 'Voyseyesque'' heads. The wrought-iron entrance gates to the pumping station and the former foreman’s lodge have a geometric design.

History

Sir Arthur Hallam Elton (1818-83), 7th Baronet of Clevedon Court, was responsible for much of the civic work in Clevedon, and was a leading figure in the establishment of the Clevedon Waterworks Company in 1863. As a consequence, Clevedon’s first water and sewage works were completed in 1867 with a pumping station on Old Street and reservoirs to the north on Dial Hill. In the late C19, due to the growing popularity of Clevedon as both a resort and a place to live, the waterworks could no longer meet demand, and in 1901 a new pumping station was created on Tickenham Road, approximately 2km to the north-east. The old pumping station became the fire station.

The engineer, James Mansergh (1834-1905) was initially employed to design the pumping station, located approximately 500 metres to the east of Clevedon Court. Mansergh was a civil engineer who started his career in railway works but then designed a number of sewerage and fresh water schemes. However, Sir Edmund Elton, 8th Baronet of the neighbouring Clevedon Court was not happy with the proposals and the Bristol architect, Henry Dare Bryan (1868-1909) was brought in by the Clevedon Waterworks Company to enhance the design of the buildings which comprised the pumping station, coal shed and store, foreman’s lodge and associated boundary wall and gatepiers.

The Clevedon Waterworks Company was taken over by the Bristol Waterworks Company, now known as Bristol Water, in 1953. The site remains operational.

Reasons for Listing

The boundary wall, gatepiers, gates and railings 18m south of Clevedon pumping station built in 1901 and designed by the architect Henry Dare Bryan are listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:

* Architectural interest: designed by the distinguished Bristol architect, Henry Dare Bryan they are well-executed;
* Group value: they form part of a complete ensemble of related buildings and structures at Clevedon pumping station which are all listed at Grade II.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.