History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Former Coal Shed and Stores at Clevedon Pumping Station

A Grade II Listed Building in Clevedon, North Somerset

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.4411 / 51°26'28"N

Longitude: -2.8224 / 2°49'20"W

OS Eastings: 342936

OS Northings: 171669

OS Grid: ST429716

Mapcode National: GBR JF.NDRC

Mapcode Global: VH7C8.118K

Entry Name: Former Coal Shed and Stores at Clevedon Pumping Station

Listing Date: 10 August 1982

Last Amended: 20 March 2015

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1129716

English Heritage Legacy ID: 33169

Location: Clevedon, North Somerset, BS21

County: North Somerset

Civil Parish: Clevedon

Traditional County: Somerset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset

Find accommodation in
Clevedon

Summary

Former coal shed and stores, now stores. Built in 1901. Designed by Henry Dare Bryan in the Domestic Revival style for the Clevedon Waterworks Company. Not included in the listing is the single-storey, late C20 garage to the north side of the principal building.

Description

Former coal shed and stores, now stores. Built in 1901. Designed by Henry Dare Bryan in the Domestic Revival style for the Clevedon Waterworks Company. Not included in the listing is the single-storey, late C20 garage to the north side of the principal building.

MATERIALS: built of squared and coursed Pennant rubble stone with ashlar dressings under a plain clay tile cross-gabled roof.

PLAN: roughly T-shaped plan.

EXTERIOR: single-storey building with gabled roof and deep, overhanging eaves and a continuous ashlar plat band. The principal elevation (east) has close-studded timber to the gable, with a heart-shaped pendant to the apex. Below is a wide carriage entrance with battered clasping buttresses to the corners. Set-back and attached to the left-hand side are two ancillary rooms. The room to the left has a pair of timber plank doors within a timber door surround and a three-light fanlight above. The timber plank door to the right has an ashlar door surround. The side (south) elevation of the principal range has a gabled dormer window with four-light timber mullion window with leaded lights. This is repeated to the north elevation. To the roof is an axial timber roof lantern with louvered sides and a leaded pinnacle with ball finial.

INTERIOR: the principal room has brick walls and a scissor-braced roof.

History

Sir Arthur Hallam Elton (1818-83), 7th Baronet of Clevedon Court, was responsible for much of the civic work in Clevedon, and was a leading figure in the establishment of the Clevedon Waterworks Company in 1863. As a consequence, Clevedon’s first water and sewage works were completed in 1867 with a pumping station on Old Street and reservoirs to the north on Dial Hill. In the late C19, due to the growing popularity of Clevedon as both a resort and a place to live, the waterworks could no longer meet demand, and in 1901 a new pumping station was created on Tickenham Road, approximately 2km to the north-east. The old pumping station became the fire station.

The engineer, James Mansergh (1834-1905) was initially employed to design the pumping station, located approximately 500 metres to the east of Clevedon Court. Mansergh was a civil engineer who started his career in railway works but then designed a number of sewerage and fresh water schemes. However, Sir Edmund Elton, 8th Baronet of the neighbouring Clevedon Court was not happy with the proposals and the Bristol architect, Henry Dare Bryan (1868-1909) was brought in by the Clevedon Waterworks Company to enhance the design of the buildings which comprised the pumping station, coal shed and store, foreman’s lodge and associated boundary wall and gatepiers.

The Clevedon Waterworks Company was taken over by the Bristol Waterworks Company, now known as Bristol Water, in 1953. The site remains operational.

Reasons for Listing

The former coal shed and stores at Clevedon pumping station built in 1901 and designed by the architect Henry Dare Bryan is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:

* Architectural interest: designed by the distinguished Bristol architect, Henry Dare Bryan in the Arts and Crafts style, it is a good composition in a style that unifies the building with the former foreman’s lodge;
* Intactness: it survives largely unaltered;
* Group value: it forms part of a complete ensemble of related buildings and structures at Clevedon pumping station which are all listed at Grade II.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.