History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of All Saints

A Grade II* Listed Building in Manfield, North Yorkshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.5152 / 54°30'54"N

Longitude: -1.6575 / 1°39'27"W

OS Eastings: 422268

OS Northings: 513377

OS Grid: NZ222133

Mapcode National: GBR JJV7.Y6

Mapcode Global: WHC5V.HRXY

Entry Name: Church of All Saints

Listing Date: 18 March 1968

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1131339

English Heritage Legacy ID: 322695

Location: Manfield, Richmondshire, North Yorkshire, DL2

County: North Yorkshire

District: Richmondshire

Civil Parish: Manfield

Built-Up Area: Manfield

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Manfield All Saints

Church of England Diocese: Leeds

Find accommodation in
Lucy Cross

Listing Text

MANFIELD VILLAGE STREET
NZ 21 SW
(south side)
4/56 Church of All Saints
18.3.68

GV II*

Church. C12, C13, C14, C16, restored 1855. Sandstone, ashlar and rubble,
some coursed, stone slate roofs. West tower, 4-bay aisled nave with
clerestory and south porch, lower 2-bay chancel with north vestry. Tower:
C16; 3 stages; chamfered plinth; stepped diagonal buttress to left;
projecting stair turret to right with 3 chamfered light vents; offset second
stage; projecting bird's-beak string between second and third stages;
chamfered light vent on second stage; flat-headed belfry openings of
2 round-arched lights on all sides; battlemented parapets; ground-floor west
window of 3 round-arched lights within segmental arch, with label with
shields on stops and at apex, and above it on second stage a clock,
presented in 1841, in double-chamfered ashlar oculus. Nave: south porch:
C19; ashlar; stepped diagonal buttresses; pointed-arched doorway with
2 orders, 1 shafted, the other richly continuously-moulded, with image niche
above; coping with gable cross; in returns windows of 2 trefoiled lights;
inside bench tables and C19 inner pointed-arched doorway continuously-
moulded and with head stops to label. South aisle: c1240; quoins; C19
Decorated and Perpendicular windows, 1 of 2 lights to west of porch, 2 of 3
lights to east of porch; moulded eaves string; lancet west window; 4-light
east window with tracery of 3 uncusped circles. Clerestory, of coursed
stone, has four C19 circular windows with Decorated tracery. North aisle:
c1330; quoins; four C19 two-light windows with triangular heads and
Perpendicular tracery; the lower jambs of a blocked north door; C19 two-
light east window; clerestory as before. Chancel: c1330; quoins to right;
two C19 2-light reticulated windows flanking ex situ priest's door, of 2
round-arched orders, the outer one of c1170, shafted and with chevron and
ball flower moulding, the inner one of bowtel section; moulded eaves string;
coping and gable cross to right; C19 four-light east window with flamboyant
tracery and head stops to label, and above it a trefoil window with head
stops to label. North vestry with heating chamber below: C19; of coursed
stone; a window of 2 trefoiled lights to north and west. Interior: C14
4-bay arcades to north and south, with tall double-chamfered pointed arches,
octagonal columns with bell capitals, and with C13 cylindrical responds at
both ends; wide C14 double-chamfered 4-centred chancel arch; tall C16
double-chamfered pointed tower arch dying into walls without responds;
3-seat sedilia with trefoiled convex-moulded arches, colonette shafts and
heads on labels; piscina with matching arch, scalloped bowl on colonette;
altar rail with column balusters possibly early C18; High Victorian font and
pulpit of c1876 in white marble. On the south wall of the tower, 3 wall
monuments with urns to members of the Witham family of Cliffe d 1796-1802.
At the east end of the south aisle, medieval grave covers, one complete and
with elaborate cross and sword, the others fragmentary. At the east end of
the south aisle, an oak chest with 5 decorated panels and a carved foliage
top rail in which is inscribed "EW 1688".


Listing NGR: NZ2226813377

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.