This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.0288 / 52°1'43"N
Longitude: -0.3557 / 0°21'20"W
OS Eastings: 512905
OS Northings: 237988
OS Grid: TL129379
Mapcode National: GBR H4T.LXG
Mapcode Global: VHFQW.S89J
Entry Name: Campton Manor
Listing Date: 16 January 1952
Last Amended: 10 January 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1137564
English Heritage Legacy ID: 37568
Location: Campton and Chicksands, Central Bedfordshire, SG17
County: Central Bedfordshire
Civil Parish: Campton and Chicksands
Built-Up Area: Campton
Traditional County: Bedfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Bedfordshire
Church of England Parish: Campton
Church of England Diocese: St.Albans
TL 1237 CAMPTON RECTORY ROAD (South Side)
16.1.52 Campton Manor (formerly listed
as Manor House)
House. Built c.1590 for the Ventris family. C18 and C19 additions and
alterations. Close-studded timber frame with colourwashed plaster infill,
rear elevation in red brick with flared header decoration. Clay tile roof.
Hall and cross-wings, hall of 2 storeys, cross-wings of 2-storeys and attics.
Front elevation: 3 small additional gabled projections to hall block, 2
storeyed, of later date. Of these LH one is in position of original front
door, whilst central one, probably C18, contains present front door. Ground
floor has paired sash windows to cross-wings and 2 sashes to hall, all with
glazing bars. LH small gable has leaded single-light. First floor has sash
window with glazing bars to each cross-wing, small single-light to LH small
gable, 2 single-light casements with glazing bars to hall, and 4-light
casement with glazing bars to central gable. Cross-wings have single leaded
light to attic. Shallow C20 Tudor-arched porch addition to central gable.
C20 door. Both cross-wings have substantial brick chimneys projecting from
side elevations, RH one with diagonal stacks. LH cross-wing has later
colourwashed rendered lean-to to side elevation. Rear elevation: refaced and
extended C18 in red brick. Hall retains C16 projecting red brick stack, with
C20 single-storeyed addition in front. 2-storeyed polygonal bay extension to
LH cross-wing, rectangular 2-storeyed extension to RH cross-wing, and
extensions to hall flanking-chimney, all C18. Variety of windows, mostly
sashes with glazing bars, some original flush sashes. Central windows to LH
polygonal bay and 2 doorways (with C20 glazed doors) to RH bay have semi-
circular heads. These and flat heads to other windows of gauged brick.
Cross-wing attics have 2-light casements with glazing bars. LH hall extension
has 6-panel door in moulded surround with pediment on cut brackets. Moulded
wood cornices. C19 2-storeyed block to RH end in similar style. Interior:
hall retains original screen to E end with carved open strapwork cresting. To
ground and first floor of hall are Tudor-arched moulded stone fireplaces, each
surmounted by panelling (apparently imported from elsewhere). Ground floor
fireplace incised "Robert Molar 1640". Ground floor rear room of W cross-wing
retains original panelling with vine trail frieze and ornate carved fire
surround. Painted plaque records unsuccessful attempt on life of Sir Charles
Ventris in 1645. C18 panelling and fire surrounds in other rooms. C18
staircase W of hall fireplace.
Listing NGR: TL1290537988
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings