This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 55.0394 / 55°2'21"N
Longitude: -1.9521 / 1°57'7"W
OS Eastings: 403158
OS Northings: 571652
OS Grid: NZ031716
Mapcode National: GBR GBT5.5B
Mapcode Global: WHB21.ZLLL
Entry Name: Matfen Hall
Listing Date: 27 August 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1155328
English Heritage Legacy ID: 238671
Location: Matfen, Northumberland, NE20
Civil Parish: Matfen
Traditional County: Northumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northumberland
Church of England Parish: Matfen Holy Trinity
Church of England Diocese: Newcastle
NZ 07 SW
14/187 Matfen Hall
Country house. 1828-30 by Rickman, completed by Sir Edward Blackett for himself.
Ashlar with Lakeland slate roof. Jacobethan style externally. Symmetrical
main block with large irregular ranges around 2 courtyards on the west side.
South front: Main block, 2 storeys plus attics; 5 bays with each bay breaking
forward from wall face. Centre and outer bays have 2-storey canted bay windows;
all windows are mullioned-and-transomed with roll-moulded surrounds, and each
bay has parapet with pierced diamond-shaped panels; shaped gables over outer
bays. Similar detail to 3-bay section recessed on left. Gabled roof with many
tall, octagonal corniced stacks.
Entrance front (North): Main block 3 storeys, 7 bays. Projecting central
porch tower; Tudor-arched doorway with Blackett shield and motto above and an
elaborate canted oriel window on 1st floor. Projecting on right a symmetrical
6-bay service wing with 3-storey outer bays and centre with mullion-and-transom
crosses on ground floor and gabled half-dormers above. Beyond this the stable
court with 4 Tudor-arched carriage entries.
Interior: very large, full-height Gothic hall with 2 tiers of pointed arches
along south side, lst-floor windows with Geometric tracery on north and east
sides and a huge Geometric window with stained glass,on west side; Gothic oak
staircase with castellated newels; hammer-beam roof. Drawing room has white
marble fireplace by Chantrey with female figures in the jambs and shells in the
frieze. Former library has early C17 fireplace with terms, and overmantel with
strapwork and demi-figures. In west wing a late C17 staircase with twisted
balusters; also a very slender cantilevered spiral stair with sweeping smooth
Now used as a Cheshire Home.
Listing NGR: NZ0315871652
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings