History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St John the Baptist

A Grade II* Listed Building in New Alresford, Hampshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.0902 / 51°5'24"N

Longitude: -1.1611 / 1°9'39"W

OS Eastings: 458847

OS Northings: 132652

OS Grid: SU588326

Mapcode National: GBR 976.M7P

Mapcode Global: FRA 86G7.MGJ

Entry Name: Church of St John the Baptist

Listing Date: 5 December 1955

Last Amended: 16 November 1983

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1156507

English Heritage Legacy ID: 145135

Location: New Alresford, Winchester, Hampshire, SO24

County: Hampshire

District: Winchester

Civil Parish: New Alresford

Traditional County: Hampshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hampshire

Church of England Parish: New Alresford St John the Baptist

Church of England Diocese: Winchester

Find accommodation in
New Alresford

Listing Text

SU 5832 NEW ALRESFORD WEST STREET
(South Side)

13/107 Church of St John
5.12.55 the Baptist(formerly listed
as Church of St John)
GV II*

C13,C14,C17, restoration and virtual rebuilding of 1898 by Sir Arthur Blom-
field, C20. Apart from the west Tower, the building is of 1898, in perpen-
dicular style, with a nave and aisle of 4 bays, chancel with north and south
chapels, and a recent hall attached to the south-east corner; all this
(except the latest part) is in flint walling with stone dressings. The Tower
has 3 stages, the 2 lower of C14 with flint and stone rubble walling and
stone dressings, the upper of C17 being of red brickwork, with a crenel-
lated parapet. There are small openings, the lower with ogee heads, a Perpen-
dicular door of 1898, above which is inserted a small T-shaped stone with a
carved crucifix (re-set here but of Romanesque origin). The west wall of the
former south aisle, next to the Tower, has a lancet window. Within there are
4 wall monuments of the C18 & early C19.


Listing NGR: SU5882032674

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.