History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Upton House

A Grade II* Listed Building in Old Alresford, Hampshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.1017 / 51°6'6"N

Longitude: -1.1564 / 1°9'23"W

OS Eastings: 459162

OS Northings: 133939

OS Grid: SU591339

Mapcode National: GBR 970.VWK

Mapcode Global: VHD0Z.XK0S

Entry Name: Upton House

Listing Date: 16 November 1983

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1157186

English Heritage Legacy ID: 145205

Location: Old Alresford, Winchester, Hampshire, SO24

County: Hampshire

District: Winchester

Civil Parish: Old Alresford

Built-Up Area: Old Alresford

Traditional County: Hampshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hampshire

Church of England Parish: Old Alresford St Mary

Church of England Diocese: Winchester

Find accommodation in
New Alresford

Listing Text

SU 53 SE OLD ALRESFORD OLD ALRESFORD

8/46 Upton House

II*

Medium sized country house. Circa 1764 enlarged late C18 and C19. Brick
stuccoed with Portland stone dressings, slate roof. 5 by 3 bay mid C18 house
of 3 storeys and basement with 2 similar bays added to right, and to left a 2
storey 6 narrow bay wing added C19. Entrance front has door in centre of
original building with early C19 double doors half glazed, under wide stone
Doric porch approached by short flight of steps with flanking lengths of
stone balustrading either side. Each side of door 2 12-pane sashes with
stone cills. Above 5 smaller 12-pane sashes, a 2nd floor stone cornice with
5 similar sashes and a parapet with raised top and stone coping. Gable
stacks and a stack added to front of left bay. 2 added bays similar except
for 14-pane ground floor and chamfered stone quoins on right corner. Left
bays have similar ground and first floor and cornice with plain parapet
above and brick plinth. Interior has large entrance hall C18 with scagliola
column arcade, moulded doors, panels and chimneypieces. Some other C18
features, but mostly C19. Terraced lawns to rear with ha-ha and park beyond.


Listing NGR: SU5916533938

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.