History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Stable Block (Craft Centre)

A Grade II Listed Building in Mawgan-in-Meneage, Cornwall

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.0712 / 50°4'16"N

Longitude: -5.1874 / 5°11'14"W

OS Eastings: 172015

OS Northings: 23872

OS Grid: SW720238

Mapcode National: GBR Z6.CNGM

Mapcode Global: FRA 080T.QVB

Entry Name: Stable Block (Craft Centre)

Listing Date: 22 June 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1159234

English Heritage Legacy ID: 65330

Location: Mawgan-in-Meneage, Cornwall, TR12

County: Cornwall

Civil Parish: Mawgan-in-Meneage

Traditional County: Cornwall

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall

Church of England Parish: St Mawgan-in-Meneage

Church of England Diocese: Truro

Find accommodation in
Mawgan

Listing Text

SW 72 SW MAWGAN-IN-MENEAGE TREWLOWARREN

4/173 Stable block (Craft Centre)

GV II


Stable block, now a craft centre. Dated 1669 and 1882 the later date the probable
construction date, the other datestone resited, possibly from the building formerly
on this site. Serpentine ashlar with granite dressings. Steep hipped dry Delabole
slate roof with projecting eaves.
Rectangular on plan with central front entrance, now one room but formerly divided
into standings for horses as the paved floors indicate. Circa late C17-early C18 in
style with suggestions of Baroque in the cupola.
Two storeys. Symmetrical 5 window front with original 12-pane horned sashes, the
granite header and stretcher jambstones and wedged lintels emphasising the openings.
Wide central doorway with panelled doors and overlight. Paired eaves brackets. Over
the middle of the roof is a square clock turret with moulded cornice and clockface on
front carrying an hexangonal cupola; the entablature breaks forward over the 6
Tuscan columns and over is an ogee-shaped lead-sheathed roof surmounted by a weather
vane.
Interior has its original floor structure with heavy cross beams, and the original
King post roof structure.
This building replaces a similar probably late C17 building (shown in an C18
engraving by Borlase).


Listing NGR: SW7201523872

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.