This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.5469 / 54°32'48"N
Longitude: -1.7797 / 1°46'46"W
OS Eastings: 414350
OS Northings: 516874
OS Grid: NZ143168
Mapcode National: GBR JH0V.HT
Mapcode Global: WHC5L.MZR4
Entry Name: Church of St Andrew
Listing Date: 14 September 1966
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1160127
English Heritage Legacy ID: 111152
Location: Winston, County Durham, DL2
County: County Durham
Civil Parish: Winston
Traditional County: Durham
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): County Durham
Church of England Parish: Winston
Church of England Diocese: Durham
NZ 11 NW WINSTON WINSTON VILLAGE
5/61 Church of St.Andrew
Parish church. Mid C13, restored 1848 by John Dobson. Mid C13 sandstone rubble
with roughly-dressed quoins; mid C19 dressed sandstone; renewed Welsh slate
roofs. South-west tower, nave with south aisle and south porch, chancel with
north vestry. Transitional and Early English style.
Tower of 1848 in two stages: buttressed square-plan base and octagonal belfry;
spirelet of sandstone flags with ball finial. Nave mainly rebuilt 1848: 4 bays
with chamfered plinth; south aisle has 2 stepped buttresses and 4 lancets under
individual hoodmoulds; north wall has medieval stonework, 3 restored lancets
and a blocked door at west end; mid Cl9 west front has 2 lancets with vesica
above and stepped clasping left buttress with pinnacle. Steeply-pitched roof
has coped gables with shaped kneelers. Mid C13 2-bay chancel of large proportions;
2 lancets to each bay; chamfered plinth and sill band with Cl9 buttress division
on south wall; left bay of south wall has blocked priest's door under shouldered
lintel and narrow round-headed window above with roll moulding. East end has 2
stepped clasping buttresses, low central buttress and 3 stepped lancets. Low-
pitched roof has coped gables with shaped kneelers. South porch of 1848 has
pointed arch of 2 orders with attached colonnettes. North vestry of 1848 has
east door under shouldered lintel.
Interior: Nave has south aisle arcade of double-chamfered pointed arches under
hoodmoulds; keeled responds; cylindrical pier with octagonal base and moulded
circular cap divides eastern bays; second bay from west is a section of solid
wall; arch-braced roof of 1848. Chancel: continuous roll moulding at same height
as external sill band is raised over blocked priest's door; pointed double-
chamfered chancel arch of 1848; piscina in south wall is a cusped, trefoil-headed
niche with chamfered arris, roll moulding, nutmegornament and a broken stop;
round rear-arches to lancets; King-post roof of 1848.
Fittings: choir stalls have C17 carved poppyhead bench ends; font, possibly C14
and later re-cut, is circular bowl on cylindrical shaft with low relief of
fighting dragons, tracery and flower motifs round rim.
Monuments: fragment of cross-head (possibly pre-Conquest); large medieval grave
cover with foliated cross at west end of nave; 3 brasses in floor; early C18
oval marble memorial tablet, in pedimented aedicule, to the parents of Peter
Lancaster, Rector, in south wall of chancel.
Listing NGR: NZ1435216877
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings