This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.6404 / 51°38'25"N
Longitude: -0.5615 / 0°33'41"W
OS Eastings: 499637
OS Northings: 194495
OS Grid: SU996944
Mapcode National: GBR F6Q.2VX
Mapcode Global: VHFSQ.7108
Entry Name: The Vache
Listing Date: 22 December 1958
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1161651
English Heritage Legacy ID: 44440
Location: Chalfont St. Giles, Chiltern, Buckinghamshire, HP8
Civil Parish: Chalfont St Giles
Traditional County: Buckinghamshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Buckinghamshire
Church of England Parish: Chalfont St Giles
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
CHALFONT-ST-GILES VACHE LANE
SU 99 SE
House, now National Coal Board Staff College. Probably C15 or early C16, late C16, late C17, C18, C19, late C19 and early C20; alterations and extensions 1955 and subsequently. Brick with some exposed timber framing; roofs mostly of plain tiles, with some slate; brick stacks with multiple diagonally-set flues. Infilled courtyard plan, the earliest part being the southern part of the east wing, this extended slightly to the north probably late C16; west wing is probably late C16; the north range late C17; the south range early-mid C18; courtyard infilled late C19; additions to west 1955. 2 storeys with attic. Windows mostly late C19, stone-mullioned. Old rain water heads with C19 dates. North front: 5, 3 bays. Some C17 brickwork. Ends of east and west ranges projecting and gabled with 2-storey canted bay windows. Two-storey gabled central porch. Hipped dormers. East front: 6 bays with exposed timber framing (mostly of tight-scantling); plinth; truncated external stack between left bays; and broad, probably C17, external stack between right bays having 2 Tudor-arched niches at base and tripled flues. South front: C18, 5 bays, end bays projecting slightly, gabled, and with Venetian windows. Central entry with pedimented doorcase. Architraved windows, cornices over those on ground floor. Moulded eaves cornice; parapet. West front: some C16 brickwork including central projection with embattled parapet with roll-moulded embrasures and merlons, later heightened. Interior: mostly last C19/early C20 with fine galleried central hall, top-lit, and panelled; panelled entrance hall and drawing room. Some reused panelling in Music Room. Earlier features which survive include C17 moulded stone fireplaces in east range on ground and first floors; C18 panelling in south range room'to east of entrance, and to room above; some timber-framing in west range, and in east range at north end of earliest (east) range which includes a large-scantling post and curved brace and beside it a wide entrance with hollow-moulded 4-centred-arched surround; late C17 stair to north range at west end, with original turned balusters to attic flight. Of particular note are the roofs above the east and west wings. The former has a 3-bay crown-post roof, the northern bay shorter; the crown-posts are of large scantling, square on plan, with stop-chamfered arises, and chamfered arch braces up to the chamfered collar purlin; close-set collared rafters. The next 2 bays (to north) have a king-post truss with curved struts, the king-post having hollow-chamfered arises with half-pyramidal stops. The roof over the west range has trusses with curved struts, some originally with an upright post; collars; trenched purlins; chamfered arched wind-braces.
RCHM I, 82, Monument 4.
Listing NGR: SU9963794495
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings