History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Thomas

A Grade II Listed Building in Golborne and Lowton West, Wigan

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.4788 / 53°28'43"N

Longitude: -2.5931 / 2°35'35"W

OS Eastings: 360736

OS Northings: 398174

OS Grid: SJ607981

Mapcode National: GBR BXB6.DN

Mapcode Global: WH985.4TGF

Entry Name: Church of St Thomas

Listing Date: 27 July 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1162930

English Heritage Legacy ID: 213482

Location: Wigan, WA3

County: Wigan

Electoral Ward/Division: Golborne and Lowton West

Built-Up Area: Golborne

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater Manchester

Church of England Parish: Golborne St Thomas

Church of England Diocese: Liverpool

Find accommodation in
Lowton

Listing Text

GOLBORNE CHURCH STREET
SJ 69 NW
(east side)
5/13 Church of
St. Thomas
II
Church. 1850, 1860 and 1906. By Joseph Clarke. Snecked stone
with clay tile roof. Nave and chancel with south aisle and
porch, west tower and north chapel. 5-bay aisle under a
pitched roof (no clerestory lights) has projecting plinth,
weathered buttresses and gabled porch in bay 2. Each bay has
a 2-light aisle window with Geometrical tracery and a
hoodmould with head stops. The chancel has a 4-light east
window and is flanked by vestrys of 1906. The intended north
aisle was never completed apart from 2 bays which now form
a side chapel. Tower with diagonal buttresses and a
pyramidal roof has a 3-light west window, gabled clock faces
and 2-light openings to the belfry which is slightly smaller
in plan than the rest of the tower. Interior: chamfered nave
arcade on circular columns with moulded capitals. Arch-
braced roof trusses. Carved stone font. Timber pulpit,
panelling, stalls and pews. Stained glass. Vestry doors have
crocketed ogee-arched hoods.


Listing NGR: SJ6073698174

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.