This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.0774 / 54°4'38"N
Longitude: -2.7606 / 2°45'38"W
OS Eastings: 350332
OS Northings: 464877
OS Grid: SD503648
Mapcode National: GBR 9P59.43
Mapcode Global: WH841.KSN1
Entry Name: Manor House
Listing Date: 4 October 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1164390
English Heritage Legacy ID: 181872
Location: Halton-with-Aughton, Lancaster, Lancashire, LA2
Civil Parish: Halton-with-Aughton
Built-Up Area: Halton
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire
Church of England Parish: Halton St Wilfrid
Church of England Diocese: Blackburn
SD 50 64 HALTON-WITH-AUGHTON LOW ROAD
17/105 Manor House
4. 10. 1967
House. '1695 HHE' (Henry and Elizabeth Hadwen) on door lintel. first
wing 'SHL 1894' on plaque above 1st floor window. Sandstone rubble with
stone slate roof. C17th house T-plan with stair and kitchen in rear wing.
2 storeys with attics, 5 bays. Ground-floor windows extensively restored
and under continuous drip course, with canted bay and 2 -light rebated
and chamfered mullioned windows to the left of the front door, a similar
mullioned window to the right and one with 3 lights which now continues
around the corner with 3 mullioned lights on the right-hand return wall.
On the 1st floor are 5 2-light rebated and chamfered windows with mullions,
under a continuous drip course. Moulding of door jambs continues around
battlemented lintel. Each gable has 2 one-light chamfered attic windows
and one rebated and chamfered one-light 1st floor window, those in left-
hand gable blocked. Gable copings with kneelers. Gable stacks, the left-
hand one projecting and with offsets. Rear of main block has 2-light
mullioned window on each floor. Rear wing had facade towards Low Road
with a 2-light mullioned window on both floors in C17th portion to left.
Eastern extension (to right) of 1894 has twin gables, rebated and chamfered
mullioned windows and drip courses. Further extension to east has re-set
doorway with chamfer continued around battlemented lintel 'WR 1659'.
Interior. Moulded segmental fireplace opening in left-hand room. Rear
wing has altered closed string open well stair with square newels and
turned balusters. In rear room of C17th wing is a very large segmental
arched fireplace with raised keystone having floral motif. Within this
is set a smaller C18th stone fireplace with moulded cornice. Some crucks
re-used on roof principals.
Listing NGR: SD5033264877
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings