History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Parish Church of St Mary the Virgin

A Grade II* Listed Building in Chigwell, Essex

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.6245 / 51°37'28"N

Longitude: 0.0804 / 0°4'49"E

OS Eastings: 544104

OS Northings: 193790

OS Grid: TQ441937

Mapcode National: GBR P3.6Y3

Mapcode Global: VHHMZ.BFVJ

Entry Name: Parish Church of St Mary the Virgin

Listing Date: 28 June 1954

Last Amended: 29 May 1984

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1165405

English Heritage Legacy ID: 118586

Location: Chigwell, Epping Forest, Essex, IG7

County: Essex

District: Epping Forest

Civil Parish: Chigwell

Built-Up Area: Chigwell

Traditional County: Essex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex

Find accommodation in
Chigwell

Listing Text

TQ 49 SW CHIGWELL HIGH ROAD
WEST SIDE
4/19 Parish Church of
28.6.54 St. Mary the
Virgin (formerly listed
as Church of St Mary
GV II*

Parish Church, C12, altered in C15, greatly extended in C19.Original part
of flint rubble, cement rendered, with limestone dressings, roofed with handmade
red clay tiles. C19 part of exposed flint rubble with limestone dressings,
roofed with machine-made red clay tiles. Bell-turret timber framed and
weatherboarded, spire timber framed and covered with lead. Nave and Chancel
C12. In the C15 a N arcade and N aisle were built, and a bell-turret in the
W end of the Nave. In 1886 the N aisle was demolished and a new Nave built
on its site. The former Nave became its S aisle, and the former,Chancel became -
its S chapel. The present Chancel, organ chamber and S porch date from this
operation. The S chapel (formerly the Chancel) is substantially late C19 except
for one arch in the N wall which forms the easternmost bay of the N arcade.
The E window is of 3 lights with cinquefoil tracery in a 2-centred arch. There
are 2 S windows of 2 lights in similar style. The roof is of 7 cants. The
S aisle (formerly the Nave) has a late C15 arcade of 4 bays of which one
overlaps the former Chancel; the 2-centred arches are moulded and the moulded
piers have each 4 attached shafts with moulded capitals and bases; the responds
have attached half-piers. In the S wall are 3 windows. The easternmost is
of c.1400, of 2 cinquefoiled lights with vertical tracery in a 2-centred head,
mostly plastered. The second window is C19, of similar style. The third window
is of C12 origin, but has been widened and altered to a window of 2 4-centred
lights, mainly C19. Further W is the C12 doorway with semi-circular arch of 4
orders, of which one has chevron ornament. The innermost forms a tympanum with
lozenge pattern over a lower arch of segmental form. The jambs have each a free
shaft with cushion capital and recut base. E of the S doorway there is a stoup
with round head and chamfered jambs ending in broach stops. In the W wall is a
I"I.ndow of 3 pointed lights in a segmental-pointed head with moulded label,
probably C15, mainly plastered. The C15 bell-turret in the ii end stands on 4
posts with 2 tiebeams and chamfered arch braces below, with vertical spandrel-
struts. The sides have intricate crossed tension bracing in the upper stages.
4 additional posts have been inserted to support the base of the spire. This
structure pre-dates the N arcade, which terminates immediately E of it. The roof
of the former Nave is in 3 bays, the bell-turret forming a fourth bay. It has
moulded tiebeams (restored), cross-quadrate crownposts each with 4 braces,
collar-braces (soulaces) and ashlar-pieces to every rafter couple. The
wallplates rest on hollow-moulded stone cornices. The bays are irregular and
independent of the bays of the N arcade. It appears to pre-date the bell-turret
but to have been condensed in length when that was inserted in the C15. It may
date from c.1400 or earlier. The present chancel of 1886 has an E window of 5
lights with cinquefoil tracery in a 2-centred head with internal moulded label.
In each wall is a smaller window of 2 lights in similar style, and a moulded 2-
centred arch (into the N organ chamber and S chapel). The reredos is of carved
alabaster in 3 panels with cinquefoiltracery. .The roof is of 4 cants, richly
painted and gilt. The Chancel arch is 2-centred on semi-octagonal corbels with
floriate carving. The Nave (1886) has in the N wall 3.2-light, 2 3-light and
one one-light windows, and the W window is of 4 lights, uniform in style with
those of the Chancel. The roof is in 5 bays with arch-braced collars and side
purlins, with cinquefoil tracery above the collars. Photographs displayed in the
Church, and reproduced in Stott, illustrate the former Nave before the
alterations of 1886. The main difference is that 2 large galleries were
present, now removed. In the Chancel there is a brass of Samuel Harsnett,
Archbishops of York, 1631, bearded figure in mitre, cape and rochett, with book
and crosier, foot and marginal inscriptions and 4 shields of arms, evangelists
with their symbols and cherub-heads. In-the Nave there is a brass recording the
benefactions of Robert Rampston, 1585. In the S chapel there is a wall-monument
of Thomas Colshill, 1595, and Mary (Crayford) his wife, 1599, with kneeling
figures of man, wife,and 2 daughters at prayer-desk, with side pilasters,
entablature and urns (the shield of arms recorded by the RCHM is missing). In
the Nave there are wall-monuments to George Scott, 1683, and Elizabeth (Cheyne)
his wife, 1705, Martin Capron, 1715, George Scott, 1780, Robert Bodle, 1785 and
James Hatch, 1806. In the S aisle there are floor-slabs to Sarah (Abdy), wife
of John Penington, 1690, also John Penington, 1702, and Ann Pelling, 1712, both
with shields of arms. On the N wall of the Nave there is a brass plate to
George Shillibeer, 1797-1866, who introduced the London omnibus in 1836. RCHM


Listing NGR: TQ4410493790

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.