History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Darkes House

A Grade II Listed Building in Conderton, Worcestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.0321 / 52°1'55"N

Longitude: -2.0535 / 2°3'12"W

OS Eastings: 396426

OS Northings: 237082

OS Grid: SO964370

Mapcode National: GBR 2KM.HNQ

Mapcode Global: VHB14.C680

Entry Name: Darkes House

Listing Date: 2 December 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1167438

English Heritage Legacy ID: 148514

Location: Conderton, Wychavon, Worcestershire, GL20

County: Worcestershire

District: Wychavon

Civil Parish: Conderton

Traditional County: Worcestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Worcestershire

Church of England Parish: Overbury with Teddington, Alstone and Little Washbourne with Beckford and Ashton-under-Hill

Church of England Diocese: Worcester

Find accommodation in
Beckford

Listing Text

CONDERTON CP -
SO 9637 - 9737
10/62 Darkes House
- II

House. Circa 1908, by Ernest Newton for Richard Biddulph Martin. Coursed
dressed limestone rubble with ashlar dressings. Stone tiled roof laid in
diminishing courses, half-hipped at east end with overhanging eaves; and
large ashlar ridge stack with moulded capping and also large stack at east
end with three connected square shafts. L-plan. Single storey and attic
with half-dormers. Windows are all leaded casements. North front elevation:
ground floor has two 3-light windows with flat arches and large keyblocks
and also a narrow single-light window. To right of centre there is a gabled
half-dormer with moulded bargeboards, decorative applied timber in gable with
roughcast infill panels and a 2-light window. Beneath the eaves to the left
of the dormer is a circular stair window. The main entrance beneath the half-
dormer has a cambered moulded canopy on shaped brackets and a partly glazed
door. The date "AD 1908" is inscribed on the upper right corner of the front
elevation. A hipped-roofed single-storey wash-house adjoins the east end which
has a single-light window in its north front elevation. To the rear of the
eastern bay of the main part is a substantial wing. (Newton, W G: The Life and
Works of Ernest Newton, London, 1925).


Listing NGR: SO9642637082

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.