History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Mary and All Saints

A Grade II* Listed Building in Stambridge, Essex

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.5836 / 51°35'1"N

Longitude: 0.7332 / 0°43'59"E

OS Eastings: 589454

OS Northings: 190736

OS Grid: TQ894907

Mapcode National: GBR RQ9.L5Y

Mapcode Global: VHKHF.NGGB

Entry Name: Church of St Mary and All Saints

Listing Date: 27 July 1959

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1168425

English Heritage Legacy ID: 123279

Location: Stambridge, Rochford, Essex, SS4

County: Essex

District: Rochford

Civil Parish: Stambridge

Traditional County: Essex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex

Church of England Parish: Stambridge

Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford

Find accommodation in
Rochford

Listing Text

STAMBRIDGE STAMBRIDGE ROAD
TQ 89 SE
6/298 Church of St. Mary and
All Saints
27.7.59
II*
Parish Church. Pre-Conquest nave and chancel, circa 1300 south aisle, much
rebuilding C13 and C14 of chancel. C15 west tower and north porch. C19 north
vestry and south organ chamber and heavy C19 retorations. Ragstone, flint,
septaria, puddingstone and brick. Stone dressings. Red plain tiled roofs.
Small weatherboarded spire to west tower. Chancel, east wall buttressed at
angles, C19 window of 2 cinquefoiled lights, tracery over, 2-centred arch and
label, rear splays and arch probably C14. North wall, western small 2-centred
arch window, label over, above this window the traces of a pre-Conquest arch.
Hipped roof to Cl9 polygonal north vestry, 2-centred arch to central doorway and
similar small arches to side windows. South wall, C19 window of 2 pointed
lights, under a 2-centred head. South aisle has 2 windows with a buttress
between the organ chamber and its single window, boiler house to west, C19 aisle
and organ chamber windows of 3 and 2 ogee lights respectively, segmental heads
and labels. Nave, north wall has 3 windows, the eastern C13 much repaired with
a square head, the other 2 probably C15 of 2 cinquefoiled lights under square
heads, moulded labels. Between these windows is a late C14 doorway, moulded
jambs and 2-centred head, moulded label, vertically boarded door, ornate iron
hinges. North porch. C14/C15, timber framed, brick plinth. Chamfered
2-centred arch in a square moulded outer order. Of 2 bays, moulded arched
braces to cambered tie beams, 2 armed crown posts. Stone and brick side seats,
brick floor. The north wall of the Nave is of ragstone and puddingstone and is
of pre-Conquest date, remains of 2 windows can be traced in the wall and an
off-set carried through from the chancel about 3 metres from ground level. West
tower, renewed red brick crenellations. Stone and flint chequerwork plinth. Of
3 stages, buttressed to and with band below the top stage. Bell chamber, north
and south faces have each a single light 2-centred window with moulded label,
east and west faces have each 3 similar lights. West window C15 of 3
cinquefoiled lights, vertical tracery, 2-centred head and label. C15 west
doorway, chamfered jambs, 2-centred head and label, nailed plank and muntin door
with strap hinges. Niche to south of west door, chamfered jambs, 4-centred
head, probably C15. The interior is much restored. C19 chancel roof of 4 bays,
hammerbeams supported by head corbels, side purlin ridge board structure. Nave
roof similar of 4 bays. C19 coloured tiled floors throughout. C20 marble
reredos, C19 stained glass to windows. Piscina, moulded ogee head and jambs,
fluted bowl resting on a human head. Low seat window to west of Piscina. North
doorway into vestry circa 1350. No chancel arch, semi-octagonal responds with
foliate capitals. Nave:- Wooden semi-octagonal pulpit with carved tracery.
Archway to rood loft staircase to north west wall. Piscina to west wall, circa
1300. South arcade of 3 bays, octagonal piers with moulded capitals and bases,
2-centred arches of 2 hollow chamfered orders. C15 octagonal font, one side
blank, the others with a quatrefoil enclosing flowers or shields of arms. West
wall memorial to John Harriot of Broomhills, Stambridge. Brass on north wall to
John Winthrop married here in 1605 to Mary Forth he sailed to America 1630 in
the "Arabella" and became the first Governor of Boston, Massachusetts. C20
stained glass window of the Arabella subscribed by the Winthrop family in
America. RCHM 1.


Listing NGR: TQ8945490736

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.