History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church Gate House

A Grade II Listed Building in Feering, Essex

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.8508 / 51°51'3"N

Longitude: 0.7177 / 0°43'3"E

OS Eastings: 587276

OS Northings: 220408

OS Grid: TL872204

Mapcode National: GBR QKN.VN5

Mapcode Global: VHKG2.DR80

Entry Name: Church Gate House

Listing Date: 29 July 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1169574

English Heritage Legacy ID: 116439

Location: Feering, Braintree, Essex, CO5

County: Essex

District: Braintree

Civil Parish: Feering

Built-Up Area: Feering

Traditional County: Essex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex

Church of England Parish: Feering All Saints

Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford

Find accommodation in
Feering

Listing Text

FEERING THE STREET
TL 8620-8720 (north side)

7/117 Church Gate House

GV II

Guildhall, extended to form a house. Early C16, extended in C17 and C18.
Timber framed, plastered, roofed with handmade red plain tiles. 3 bays aligned
NE-SW, probably in churchyard originally. C17 2-bay extension with axial stack
to SE of SW end, forming an L-plan, now facing SW. C18 extension along right
side of original range, and one-bay extension beyond end. 2 storeys. 3-window
range of tripartite sashes. 4-panel door and CL8 round window with radial
tracery at front of C20 lean-to porch. The left return (facing the churchyard)
has C18 patterned plaster, with lateral chevrons in panels, and a band of
incised scrolled foliage at first floor level, incomplete. The original range
is exceptionally narrow, span about 3.5 metres, with jowled posts, heavy
studding, an edge-halved and bridled scarf in the left wallplate, cambered
tiebeams with mortices for crownposts, not now present. Much of the right
wallplate and studding below has been removed. This range was originally
jettied at the front end, but the upper storey has been cut back to align with
the lower storey. Unglazed windows and shutter grooves in left wall, mullions
removed in lower window, possibly present in blocked upper window. Chamfered
beams with runout stops, plain joists of large horizontal section. The absence
of weathering on the right side indicates that it has always been protected by
another range, in the same position as the present C17 range. Structure in this
range mainly concealed by plaster, axial beam boxed in. An old photograph in
the possession of the owner shows the round window which is now in the porch, on
the front of the upper storey of the C17 range. A guild of Corpus Christi Is
recorded in the 1524 Lay Subsidy returns (P.R.O. E.179/LOB/L74 and
E.179/108/15S) and the Chantry Certificate (P.R.0. E.301/30/219). In 1548 the
Crown granted to Thomas Goldyng and Walter Ely 'the land (30 ac.) in tenure of
Reynold Hygate in Feryng, Essex, and the messuage called '[the Gilde Howse" and 2
ac. land in Feryng of the late guild called Corpus Christi there' (Calendar of
Letters Patent, Edward VI, I, 341).


Listing NGR: TL8727620408

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.