History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of All Saints

A Grade II* Listed Building in Bodham, Norfolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.9058 / 52°54'20"N

Longitude: 1.1595 / 1°9'34"E

OS Eastings: 612568

OS Northings: 338932

OS Grid: TG125389

Mapcode National: GBR T9F.ZXN

Mapcode Global: WHLR2.S7B6

Entry Name: Church of All Saints

Listing Date: 4 October 1960

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1172366

English Heritage Legacy ID: 224564

Location: Bodham, North Norfolk, Norfolk, NR25

County: Norfolk

District: North Norfolk

Civil Parish: Bodham

Traditional County: Norfolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk

Church of England Parish: Bodham All Saints

Church of England Diocese: Norwich

Find accommodation in
Bodham

Listing Text

TG 13 NW BODHAM

7/11 Church of All Saints
4.10.60
II*


Medieval parish church, restored 1893-4. Coursed flint and some iron
conglomerate with stone dressings, plain tiles. West tower, nave, chancel
and south porch. C14 3-stage tower with embattled parapet and stepped
diagonal buttresses; west doorway with continuous deep mouldings, late C20
ledged and battened oak door; early C14 west window of cusped 'Y' tracery;
bell openings of 2 cusped lights under a quatrefoil. (Tower restored 1921
as memorial to 1914-18 war dead). South porch renewed C19: south front of
galletted knapped flint, flint chips in rendering to walls, eaves courses
and dentil cornice in brick; arch renewed above side shafts, continuous
moulding, blocked niche above; continuous roll moulding to doorway, ledged
and battoned door c.1920, niche to right for stoup, lined with medieval black
and yellow glazed tiles. Nave walls with flint chip rendering, brick eaves
courses and dentil cornice to roof with lower pitch of c.1850. Brick
buttresses, 2 to south, 4 to north; 3-light openings with tracery of 6 panels
under a square head, hollow chamfered mullions, 2 to south, that nearest
porch having figure stops to hood mould and date 1633 in rendered brick
above, 3 to north, those to right and left having wooden mullions and
tracery. East wall of nave with conglomerate, diagonal stone dressed
buttress to south. Chancel of coursed galletted flint with conglomerate,
conglomerate at base of rendered north wall, brick eaves cornice, pantiles;
semi-circular headed blocked south doorway between two 2-light C19 windows
each with 4 tracery panels under a pointed segmental head; mid C19 east
window of 3 lights and panel tracery under 4-centred arch. Interior: mid
C19 boarded barrel roof to nave with carved bosses; boarded C19 chancel
roof ceiled at collars having cusped panel tracery between ties and collars.
Double chamfered chancel arch with niche either side. Twisted balusters
and reeded posts to C17 Communion rails. Pulpit reassembled in C19 on stone
plinth has linenfold panelling beneath Renaissance arches, 4 twisted
balusters as for rails at angles between panels. Trefoil headed piscina
to south wall of nave. Plain C19 pine pews said to come from West Beckham
workhouse; canvas achievement to Queen anne on north wall; plain octagonal
font on octagonal stem. Tall tower arch having plain jambs and double
chamfered arch; tower ceiled with C18 panelling from pews.


Listing NGR: TG1256838932

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.