History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Olive Branch

A Grade II Listed Building in St. Ippolyts, Hertfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.929 / 51°55'44"N

Longitude: -0.2584 / 0°15'30"W

OS Eastings: 519844

OS Northings: 227047

OS Grid: TL198270

Mapcode National: GBR J7M.1HG

Mapcode Global: VHGNS.GSR2

Entry Name: The Olive Branch

Listing Date: 27 May 1968

Last Amended: 28 May 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1175345

English Heritage Legacy ID: 162686

Location: St. Ippolyts, North Hertfordshire, Hertfordshire, SG4

County: Hertfordshire

District: North Hertfordshire

Civil Parish: St Ippolyts

Traditional County: Hertfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire

Church of England Parish: St Ippolyts

Church of England Diocese: St.Albans

Find accommodation in
Hitchin

Listing Text

ST IPPOLLITTS STEVENAGE ROAD
TL 1927 (South side)
St. Ippollitts

9/74 The Olive Branch
27.5.68 (formerly listed as The Olive Branch
Public House)

GV II

House. C16, a beer house 1840-1971, enlarged to rear in 2 stages since
1971. Timber frame on black stuccoed sill, roughcast, exposed timbers on
1st floor front with plastered infill panels. Steep old red tile roofs.
A prominent 2-storeys, 2-cells plan building on roadside facing N with
jettied, close-studded, upper front floor carried on heavy bull-nosed
joists and 4 curved knee-braces, 2 flanking doorway in middle. 2 small
flush 2-lights casement windows to ground floor with external boarded
shutters. On 1st floor 2 small C19 2-lights casement windows with small
panes in the positions of original windows as shown by the framing. Very
large external W gable chimney in narrow red brick with offsets and 2
diagonally set square shafts with corbelled caps. The house is
trapezoidal on plan being set out at an acute angle to the roadfront.
Interior has 2 rooms on each floor. 2-storeys parallel rear wing, gabled
rear extension, and porch on E end of extension. (RCHM (1911)130 no.4:
Pevsner (1977)214: RCHM Typescript: inf Mrs. Rance).


Listing NGR: TL1984427047

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.