This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.5833 / 52°34'59"N
Longitude: -2.7827 / 2°46'57"W
OS Eastings: 347061
OS Northings: 298673
OS Grid: SO470986
Mapcode National: GBR BH.B7MG
Mapcode Global: WH8CD.7B4F
Entry Name: Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 13 June 1958
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1177258
English Heritage Legacy ID: 259596
Location: Leebotwood, Shropshire, SY6
Civil Parish: Leebotwood
Traditional County: Shropshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire
Church of England Parish: Leebotwood
Church of England Diocese: Hereford
SO 4698-4798 LEEBOTWOOD C.P. LEEBOTWOOD
11/55 Church of St. Mary
Parish church. C13 with tower and other alterations of 1829. Roughly
coursed red and grey sandstone rubble with grey sandstone ashlar
dressings; C19 slate roof. Nave and chancel in one,with west tower.
Tower: 2 stages, with offset to belfry, and plain parapet with string
and coping; louvred paired stubby chamfered lancet belfry openings,
west window with 3 chamfered lancets of equal height and intersecting
leaded tracery, and pointed-arched west doorway with boarded door.
Nave and chancel: coved stone eaves cornice, and parapeted gable end
to west with kneelers, coping and cross at apex; south side: pilaster
buttress to left; central triple chamfered lancets and pair of chamfered
lancets to right, flanking probably C16 moulded Tudor-arched priest's
doorway off-centre to right with boarded door; partly blocked C13
chamfered-arched south doorway to left with inserted leaded window;
north side: pair of chamfered lancets off-centre to right; east-end:
stepped triple chamfered lancets and small C13 chamfered lancet in
apex of gable above. Interior: 5-bay roof, mainly C19 but one C17
truss in chancel and C15 moulded arch-braced collar truss with carved
dragons in spandrels; pairs of chamfered purlins and elaborately cusped
wind braces in one bay forming foiled shape; C19 billet frieze; chamfered
tower arch without imposts. Fittings include: west gallery with C16
or C17 roll-moulded beam and C19 balustrade with stick balusters;
early C19 three-bay chancel screen between second and third bays with
square Tuscan columns and pilasters without entasis; panelled box
pews of 1776,ramped up to screen,with H-hinges, names of farms, and
some reused C17 fluted panels; early C18 hexagonal wooden pulpit with
tall raised and fielded panels and moulded cornice; reader's desk
and clerk's pew probably also of 1776; circular stone font of c.1843
with moulded base; late C19 ashlar reredos with carved frieze and
pierced cresting; probably early C19 altar rails on 3 sides with stick
balusters; side benches to sanctuary. Stained glass: east window
of c.1854, probably by David Evans of Shrewsbury. Monuments: fine
series of C18 and early C19 monuments to the Corbett family (Longnor
Hall q.v.); especially notable is large tablet monument to Sir Uvedale
Corbett (d.1701) with gadrooned base, flanking columns, and swan-
necked pediment with 2 reclining figures. Medieval wall painting on
north wall of nave. A church on the site is first recorded in 1183.
The church is notable for the completeness of its C18 and early C19
fittings and monuments. V.C.H., Vol. VIII, pp.104-6; B.0.E., p.164;
D.H.S. Cranage, An architectural account of the churches of'Shropshire,
Part 6, p.498.
Listing NGR: SO4706198673
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings