This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.5899 / 52°35'23"N
Longitude: -2.8359 / 2°50'9"W
OS Eastings: 343467
OS Northings: 299447
OS Grid: SO434994
Mapcode National: GBR BF.9SLX
Mapcode Global: WH8CC.D5TC
Entry Name: Stone House
Listing Date: 7 April 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1177672
English Heritage Legacy ID: 259634
Location: Smethcott, Shropshire, SY6
Civil Parish: Smethcott
Traditional County: Shropshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire
Church of England Parish: Smethcote St Michael
Church of England Diocese: Hereford
SO 49 NW SMETHCOTT C.P. PICKLESCOTT
3/93 Stone House
House. Early to mid- C17 with C18 or C19 alterations and late C20
addition. Roughly dressed red sandstone and uncoursed red sandstone
rubble with grey sandstone ashlar dressings; C20 machine tile roof.
T-plan with projecting 2-bay gabled cross wing to left. One storey
and attic. Central brick ridge stack. Two C20 plate-glass square
windows in C19 openings to right, that to left with segmental brick
head; cross wing to left has double-chamfered 3-light stone mullioned
window to each floor with coved dripmould above each and square datestone
in apex of gable inscribed: "IC/16?9" (possibly 1629 or 1639) with
dripmould above. Right-hand gable end with ground-floor 3-light casement
and 2-light attic casement. Late C20 addition set back to left with
boarded door to right. Interior: collar and tie-beam trusses with
queen struts and v-struts; timber framed cross walls; chamfered beams
and joists with ogee stops; large open fireplace with chamfered dressed
sandstone reveals and large lintel; winder staircase with chamfered
square newel post. The initials on the datestone might refer to Joseph
Charlton who occupied a one-hearth house in the village in 1662.
The house had ceased to be a farmhouse in 1844. The cross wing is
built of roughly dressed Cl7 masonry but the hall range is of uncoursed
rubble which might be a C18 or C19 rebuilding. V.C.H., Vol. VIII,
p.150. ~ ~
Listing NGR: SO4346799447
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings