This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.2588 / 51°15'31"N
Longitude: -2.1819 / 2°10'54"W
OS Eastings: 387404
OS Northings: 151087
OS Grid: ST874510
Mapcode National: GBR 1TM.15K
Mapcode Global: VH979.4MDC
Entry Name: The Laverton Institute
Listing Date: 31 March 1978
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1180367
English Heritage Legacy ID: 313064
Location: Westbury, Wiltshire, BA13
Civil Parish: Westbury
Built-Up Area: Westbury (Wiltshire)
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
Church of England Parish: Westbury
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
WESTBURY BRATTON ROAD
ST 8751 SW 4/111 The Laverton Institute
Dated 1873. Architect W.J. Stent of Warminster. Italianate Gothic. 2 storey
palazzo style. 7 bays and a recessed bay to right. Red brick with Bath stone
dressings, moulded plinth top, string over ground floor, frieze, modillion
and bracket cornice to eaves; the frieze has iron scroll work decoration,
now much lacking. Tiled roof with crested ridge. Square section cast iron
rain water pipes at sides with large hoppers. Plate glass sash windows, lancets
on 1st floor, coupled in centre, with sandstone colonettes to caps and hood
moulds. Stone brackets to balcony below centre window has ornamental guard
railing with "Erected by A. Laverton Esqre J.P. - 1878" in openwork. Ground
floor windows have shouldered lintels with pointed over arches, crocket capitals
and sandstone nook shafts. The tympana have incised decoration, the inner
window to left (capitals have curved pelicans) with monogram "A.L.", inner
window to right with date 1873. Large central door piece below projecting
Bath stone canopy supported on squat grey stone columns to florid leaf caps.
Lean-to canopy broken in centre by gable. Tudor rose cornice. Pointed archway
with alternate grey and Bath stone voussoirs, key with Pelican crest. Recessed
double doors with shaped glazed panels. Memorial stone over plinth to left.
Extension in similar style to right, with 2nd doorway also pointed with polychrome
voussoirs. Ornamental belfry to return with wrought iron canopy and decoration.
Painted glass windows on left hand return.
Prospect Square. Designed 1869-1870. Architect W.J. Stent of Warminster.
This square is of outstanding interest. It is built on a sloping site on
3 sides above the road enclosing a square. The groups of stepped houses
are in a revived vernacular style. Each group is of a different design reflected
across the central axis from the road and the houses are consequently listed
in paired groups. A pitched brick and tile roadway runs from No 1 to No 16
and from No 24 to No 39.
Listing NGR: ST8740451087
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings