History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Rookery

A Grade II Listed Building in Walsham-le-Willows, Suffolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.303 / 52°18'10"N

Longitude: 0.9395 / 0°56'22"E

OS Eastings: 600514

OS Northings: 271282

OS Grid: TM005712

Mapcode National: GBR SH5.Q9X

Mapcode Global: VHKD2.7CJV

Entry Name: The Rookery

Listing Date: 15 November 1954

Last Amended: 15 July 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1182112

English Heritage Legacy ID: 281791

Location: Walsham-le-Willows, Mid Suffolk, Suffolk, IP31

County: Suffolk

District: Mid Suffolk

Civil Parish: Walsham-le-Willows

Built-Up Area: Walsham Le Willows

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Walsham-le-Willows St Mary

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Find accommodation in
Badwell Ash

Listing Text

TM 07 SW WALSHAM LE WILLOWS FINNINGHAM ROAD

3/46 The Rookery (formerly
listed as 'Rookery
15/11/54 Farmhouse)

II

Former farmhouse. Circa 1600.and later. Timber-framed and rendered with some
lining, white brick facing to part, plaintiled roofs. 2 storeys, attics to
part; irregular form. 2 internal chimney-stacks, one with 4 barrel shafts
moulded at cap and base on a long narrow base decorated with 2 courses of
diaper-patterned tiles (cf. Green Farmhouse, Item 3/41, and Crownland Hall,
Item 3/43). Part of the south front has a mid-C19 white brick face: a central
gable, with a raised course of bricks along its slopes, a spike finial with
ball, and corbels, is set slightly forward of 2 flanking crenellated sections.
The gable has paired 12-pane sash windows within heavy mock-stone surrounds to
ground and first floors and a single 12-pane sash in the apex; the crenellated
sides each have a 4-panelled door and fanlight with radiating glazing-bars in
a semi-circular-headed, surround and a 12-pane sash window above. The
remainder of the south front has 9-pane sashes to each floor. Along the west
side, old 3-light casement windows to the upper floor, and a small 1½ storey
projecting C17 wing: fluted bargeboards and spike finial to gable, projecting
tie-beam with Jacobean carving, a 2-light casement window with a single bar to
each floor. The oldest part of the complex is the 4-bay 3-cell range with
internal chimney-stack, aligned north-south: to the south of the stack the
ground floor room behind the brick gable has an ovolo-moulded main beam with
lamb's tongue stops; to the north of the stack the main beams are plain and
worn. Close-studding with some C18 brick infill; Tudor brick on the north
side of the stack; joists on edge on the upper floor; roof, in 7 bays
unrelated to wall bays, with 2 rows of unstepped butt purlins and very large
principal rafters. The east-west range is not all of one date, and much
structure is concealed. The 4 eastern bays have exposed walling on the ground
floor, with indications that the ceilings were raised in the C18. Roof with
one row of unstepped butt purlins, one row of clasped purlins, and the remains
of windbraces.


Listing NGR: TM0051471282

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.