History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Old Hall Farmhouse

A Grade II* Listed Building in Hemingstone, Suffolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.1342 / 52°8'2"N

Longitude: 1.1436 / 1°8'36"E

OS Eastings: 615239

OS Northings: 253089

OS Grid: TM152530

Mapcode National: GBR TLX.1YG

Mapcode Global: VHLBD.RMX9

Entry Name: Old Hall Farmhouse

Listing Date: 22 September 1987

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1182665

English Heritage Legacy ID: 279743

Location: Hemingstone, Mid Suffolk, Suffolk, IP6

County: Suffolk

District: Mid Suffolk

Civil Parish: Hemingstone

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Hemingstone St Gregory

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Find accommodation in
Coddenham

Listing Text

HEMINGSTONE MAIN ROAD
TM 15 SE
7/124 Old Hall Farmhouse

-
GV II*

Farmhouse, early C17 (said to be of 1602, but possibly c,1630). Remodelling
of C18, and rear extension of c.1970. 2 storeys and attics. Half H plan; the
centre range of one window is unusually narrow. Timber-framed and plastered.
Plaintiled roofs; both cross-wings are hipped (possibly an C18 alteration).
To rear of the right hand wing is an original chimney of red brick with 3
detached square shafts. A matching chimney at left-hand wing has a rebuilt
shaft. Good original dormer in rear roof slope with ovolo-moulded mullioned
window. Late C18 casements with transomes; hinged boarded external shutters
at ground storey. Central entrance doorway of c.1970, in the mid C18 manner;
6-panelled door with architrave and pediment. In the narrow centre range is a
good early C17 dogleg staircase with carved and pierced newel finials and
widely-spaced turned balusters. Lighting the stairs is an ovolo-moulded
mullioned and transomed window. The parlour has moulded plaster cornices; and
a pair of fitted oak cupboards flank the window, forming a bay. The chamber
above has a similar arrangement but the cupboards are in wainscotting. In the
kitchen wing to right is a large segmental-arched fireplace, and cable-pattern
plaster on the ceiling beams. Slender close-studding. 2-tier butt-purlin
roof, the upper tier wind-braced. The house has many minor items of joinery
and ironmongery which contribute to its character.


Listing NGR: TM1523953089

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.