This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.3941 / 51°23'38"N
Longitude: -1.5828 / 1°34'58"W
OS Eastings: 429124
OS Northings: 166199
OS Grid: SU291661
Mapcode National: GBR 5YZ.GNL
Mapcode Global: VHC1Y.J734
Entry Name: Church of St Michael
Listing Date: 22 August 1966
Last Amended: 30 July 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1184327
English Heritage Legacy ID: 310864
Location: Little Bedwyn, Wiltshire, SN8
Civil Parish: Little Bedwyn
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
LITTLE BEDWYN CHURCH STREET
SU 26 NE
2/142 Church of St. Michael
(formerly listed as the Parish
Church of St Michael)
Anglican parish church. C12, C13, C15 and C19. Flint with
interspersed limestone, slate roof, copper sheet to aisles. Nave,
aisles, south porch, west steeple, and chancel with C19 north
vestry. C15 South Porch with Tudor arched door and C19 cusped
roundel over. Windows all C15; aisles and chancel have 2-light
square headed windows with trefoiled ogees and label. Chancel east
window of 3-lights. Nave clerestorey also 2-lights with trefoiled
heads. Tower of 4-stages, of equal width to nave, offsetting above
nave eaves, and having moulded top string. Plain well-proportioned
octagonal ashlar broach spire. Bell openings to tower as
clerestorey, but narrow single light to ringing floor. Angle
buttresses. Gnomon on chancel south-west buttress. Vestry has
Interior: Nave of 3-bay arcade, late C12-early C13, possible
adaptation of earlier Saxon nave (tall with 600 mm walls). North
aisle has short cylindrical columns with capitals of early stiff
leaf form similar to Great Bedwyn (q.v.). Two-order semi-circular
arches and square billet hoodmould. C17 roof. South aisle
similar but taller columns and chamfered pointed arches. East
capital with 4 heads and central capital round. Arcade corbelled
on east impost. Panelled roofs to aisles. Walls colourwashed.
Triple chamfered tower arch, double chamfered chancel arch, latter
without interruption. Chancel with C19 patterned tiling and barrel
vaulted roof. Two steps to Sanctuary. C19 piscina and cusped
stone reredos panel. Fittings: font, C19, by south door.
Limestone, octagonal and brass fittings to cover. Pulpit, C19,
oak, octagonal on stone base. Sanctuary rails C19. Furniture:
Organ, small, by Brygeson Bros, London. Monuments: South Aisle: 2
C19 wall tablets, white marble on slate; 1859, to HENRY ROWLAND of
Ramsbury, and 1860, to JANE TROTHOWAN and EDWARD POTTER of
Chisbury. Brass war memorial. (Reference Pevsner, Sir N.
Buildings of England: Wiltshire.)
Listing NGR: SU2911566203
This List entry has been amended to add sources for War Memorials Online and the War Memorials Register. These sources were not used in the compilation of this List entry but are added here as a guide for further reading, 26 October 2017.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings