History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Basford Hall and Attached Stable Wing and Carriage Entry

A Grade II Listed Building in Cheddleton, Staffordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.0588 / 53°3'31"N

Longitude: -2.0178 / 2°1'3"W

OS Eastings: 398905

OS Northings: 351287

OS Grid: SJ989512

Mapcode National: GBR 259.6P1

Mapcode Global: WHBCP.ZCBW

Entry Name: Basford Hall and Attached Stable Wing and Carriage Entry

Listing Date: 15 December 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1188589

English Heritage Legacy ID: 274514

Location: Cheddleton, Staffordshire Moorlands, Staffordshire, ST13

County: Staffordshire

District: Staffordshire Moorlands

Civil Parish: Cheddleton

Traditional County: Staffordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Staffordshire

Church of England Parish: Cheddleton St Edward the Confessor

Church of England Diocese: Lichfield

Find accommodation in
Cheddleton

Listing Text

CHEDDLETON C.P. -
SJ 95 SE
5/26 Basford Hall and
- attached stable
wing and carriage
entry

GV II

Country house. 1830s, enlarged circa 1856. Coursed dressed and squared
stone of ashlar quality; slate roof and tiled roof to additions, triple
octagonal shafted end and ridge stacks. Tudoresque; house forms large
rectangular block of 2 parallel ranges; the stables,forming an 'L' adjoin
the north angle. Entrance front: asymmetrical, of 2 gables both
projecting on corbel blocks and finished by large stacks, the left-
hand one is brought down and divides the gable with a wide breast;
the right-hand gable carries most of the fenestration, all with
chamfered stone mullions and transoms: an oriel to first floor right
with a 3-light window below and a 2-light window to first floor left
over a slightly projecting corbel-corniced single-storey porch with
boarded door; the left-hand gable has narrow single-light windows
to each floor astride the chimney, except to first floor right; the
plain gables are finished by coats-of-arms of the Sneyd family. A
string at first-floor level is the only visual link with the carriage
entry and stables, to the right of the front, projecting and framing
the open entry court. These are of single storey and attic, the
carriage entry has a large corbelled dormer placed centrally over a
Tudor-arch carriageway and is flanked by a 2-light window (similar
to those in the hall) to the left and projecting stack to the right;
the lower stable range is dated 1856 similar in style, only the
pattern tile roof marks it distinctly as an addition; long range
with slightly projecting central 2-storey block: projecting gable
(bearing datestone) on corbels over 2-light oriel and Tudor-arch
boarded doors, flanking wings have 2 blind chamfered mullioned
openings (each glazed only to left end) and a more recent double door
to left side between windows.


Listing NGR: SJ9890551287

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.