This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.5056 / 51°30'20"N
Longitude: -0.2671 / 0°16'1"W
OS Eastings: 520365
OS Northings: 179944
OS Grid: TQ203799
Mapcode National: GBR 8R.WWH
Mapcode Global: VHGQX.BF44
Entry Name: Berrymead Priory
Listing Date: 27 July 1973
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1189469
English Heritage Legacy ID: 201034
Location: Ealing, London, W3
Electoral Ward/Division: South Acton
Built-Up Area: Ealing
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: St Mary Acton
Church of England Diocese: London
TQ 2079 6/9 27.7.73
Castellated Gothic building dating mainly from 1802-4, but incorporating an earlier
house. Probably by T Burnell, pupil of Sir Robert Taylor (Colvin).
Additions of about 1850, and later alterations. Asymetrical. Stuccoed. Hipped
slate roofs. Large block facing east has 2 storeys plus cellars and attics.
Castellated parapets. Cornice sections of string course. Four windows with
mullions and transoms, rectangular dripmoulds. Main entrance in lower extension
coming forward from north side of the large block.
Polygonal angle turrets with panelled sides above parapet level, plain lancets
below. Moulded cornice band over 4-centred archway with hoodmould and panelled
double wooden doors. One storey plus basement range to right on north side.
Large polygonal stair-turret to north-west corner with open quatrefoils above
parapet level and pyramidal roof with lucarnes. Three large buttresses,
stair turret with chimney stack, rise through crenellated parapet. Cornice
band. Three large pointed openings with Y-tracery and quatrefoils (now blocked).
Sill band. Four centred arches to basement openings. Some similar details
to rear elevations.
In early C18, the house belonged to the first Duke of Kingston, who was often
visited here by George II.
Lady Mary Wortley Montague (duughter of the first duke) afterwards lived here,
and Lord Lytton, the novelist, also occupied the house for some time.
Listing NGR: TQ2036579944
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings