History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Hackleton House

A Grade II Listed Building in Hackleton, Northamptonshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.1868 / 52°11'12"N

Longitude: -0.8181 / 0°49'5"W

OS Eastings: 480894

OS Northings: 254942

OS Grid: SP808549

Mapcode National: GBR CY8.XMW

Mapcode Global: VHDSD.R9VF

Entry Name: Hackleton House

Listing Date: 3 May 1968

Last Amended: 6 September 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1190236

English Heritage Legacy ID: 235520

Location: Hackleton, South Northamptonshire, Northamptonshire, NN7

County: Northamptonshire

District: South Northamptonshire

Civil Parish: Hackleton

Built-Up Area: Hackleton

Traditional County: Northamptonshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northamptonshire

Church of England Parish: Piddington with Horton

Church of England Diocese: Peterborough

Find accommodation in
Hackleton

Listing Text

HACKLETON MAIN ROAD
SP8054 (South side)
20/120 No.110 (Hackleton House)
03/05/68 (Formerly listed as Hackleton
House)

- II

House. Dated 1754, altered and extended early C19. Coursed squared limestone
with ironstone dressings, slate roof, rendered ridge and end stacks. L-plan.
2-storeys and attic; 3-window range. Main front facing road has central 6-panel
part-glazed door with overlight, panelled reveals, moulded wood surround, fluted
frieze and straight hood. 12-pane sash windows to ground and 1st floors with
stone sills, flat-arched heads and keyblocks, all of ironstone; those to ground
and 1st floors right are 'dummy' windows. Plinth, quoins, flush ironstone storey
band, moulded and coved stone eaves, a pair of gabled dormers with 2-light
leaded casements and stone-coped gable with kneelers to left. Datestone to left
gable inscribed EM/1754. Wing to rear right extended c.1800. 2-storey, 1-window
projection in re-entrant approached by 5 stone steps; 6-panel door with
fanlight, moulded wood surround, plain frieze and straight hood with canted
sides. Right elevation of wing, facing garden, has two large canted bay windows
with reeded pilasters to angles and moulded cornices, probably early C19.
Interior: staircase-hall has chequered stone paving and early C19 open well
staircase with carved tread ends, stick balusters and mahogany ramped and
wreathed handrail. Study has blocked inglenook and ogee-stop-chamfered spine
beam. Dining Room has moulded plaster cornice, similar mouldings to encased
spine beam and original eared wood chimneypiece with rococo scroll relief
carving to a centre tablet, veined marble slips and late C19 tiled fireplace and
grate. Original stone or marble chimneypieces to bedrooms, painted, and with
early Victorian cast-iron grates. Brick-vaulted cellar, part of which formerly
used as a dairy with slate shelving. At time of resurvey ground and first floor
windows to far right boarded up.


Listing NGR: SP8089454942

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.