History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Bacon's Farmhouse and Attached Stable

A Grade II Listed Building in Finmere, Oxfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.0041 / 52°0'14"N

Longitude: -1.06 / 1°3'35"W

OS Eastings: 464624

OS Northings: 234377

OS Grid: SP646343

Mapcode National: GBR 9XM.8TY

Mapcode Global: VHCWL.KWZK

Entry Name: Bacon's Farmhouse and Attached Stable

Listing Date: 3 October 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1192676

English Heritage Legacy ID: 243609

Location: Finmere, Cherwell, Oxfordshire, MK18

County: Oxfordshire

District: Cherwell

Civil Parish: Finmere

Traditional County: Oxfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Buckinghamshire

Church of England Parish: Finmere

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Buckingham

Listing Text

FINMERE WATER STRATFORD ROAD
SP63SW (West side)
5/17 Bacon's Farmhouse and attached
stable

- II

Farmhouse. C17 with C18 front range. Squared coursed limestone. Steeply pitched
red-tile roofs. Brick end stacks. C18 range. 2 storeys. 4-window range. Central
entrance has front with hipped red-tile roof. Panelled/glazed door and moulded
wood frame. Ground floor has sashes with keyblock lintels and glazing bars. 4
similar first floor windows. Stone band to first floor. Earlier range to rear
has 2 gabled dormers. Stable attached to right. Squared coursed limestone.
Steeply pitched slate roof. Single storey plus loft. 2 stable entrances with
plank doors and wood lintels. Gabled loft entrance with plank door and wood
lintel. Hipped roof on right. The former Manor House or Court House taking its
name from C18 owners. In the first half of the C18 the Duke of Buckingham, Lord
of the Manor, pulled damn most of the old house and built the present farm
buildings. Purchased by Merton College Oxford in 1853 and 1858. Interior not
inspected.
(VCH: Oxfordshire: 1974, p117)


Listing NGR: SP6462434377

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.