This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.5952 / 53°35'42"N
Longitude: -1.0311 / 1°1'52"W
OS Eastings: 464220
OS Northings: 411396
OS Grid: SE642113
Mapcode National: GBR PV7V.KY
Mapcode Global: WHFDW.4W7Q
Entry Name: War Memorial Immediately to East of Chapel at Stainforth Cemetery
Listing Date: 29 September 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1192765
English Heritage Legacy ID: 334649
Location: Stainforth, Doncaster, DN7
Civil Parish: Stainforth
Built-Up Area: Stainforth
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): South Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Stainforth St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Sheffield
STAINFORTH CHURCH ROAD
SE 61 SW
(west side, off)
east of chapel
at Stainforth Cemetery
War memorial. c1920. Sculptors: Tyas and Guest of Swinton, near Rotherham.
Ashlar sandstone. Square enclosure with kerb and corner vases; at its centre
the monument with a 3-step plinth to a stylised, square Doric column
surmounted by a lifesize statue. Column base has re-entrant corners and
fasces decoration and an anchor and lifebelt carved in a recessed panel on
the front. Names of the dead of 1914-18 are inscribed on the front of the
shaft, those of 1939-45 added on rear and left return. The well-carved
statue is of an infantryman with gun and fixed bayonet facing to his left in
front of a broken tree stump.
Listing NGR: SE6422011396
This List entry has been amended to add sources for War Memorials Online and the War Memorials Register. These sources were not used in the compilation of this List entry but are added here as a guide for further reading, 31 January 2017.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings