History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Former Church of St John the Baptist

A Grade II Listed Building in Ecclesfield, Sheffield

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.4649 / 53°27'53"N

Longitude: -1.4716 / 1°28'17"W

OS Eastings: 435174

OS Northings: 396590

OS Grid: SK351965

Mapcode National: GBR LX5C.6N

Mapcode Global: WHDD9.C5GL

Entry Name: Former Church of St John the Baptist

Listing Date: 8 August 1985

Last Amended: 6 August 2013

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1192920

English Heritage Legacy ID: 335470

Location: Ecclesfield, Sheffield, S35

County: Sheffield

Civil Parish: Ecclesfield

Built-Up Area: Chapeltown

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): South Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Chapeltown St John the Baptist

Church of England Diocese: Sheffield

Find accommodation in
Chapeltown

Summary

Former church, now offices. 1859-60 by Weightman and Hadfield, extended 1900-01 by W J Sykes of Hoyland. Coursed, dressed sandstone. Welsh slate roofs. Gothic Revival style.

Description

Former church, now offices. 1859-60 by Weightman and Hadfield, extended 1900-01 by W J Sykes of Hoyland. Coursed, dressed sandstone. Welsh slate roofs. Gothic Revival style.

PLAN: Four-bay nave with north and south aisles with separate double-pitched roofs, south porch beneath tower with spire. Lower two-bay chancel with north vestry and organ chamber; south Lady Chapel now removed.

EXTERIOR: the tower is square with angle buttresses to the lower stage and a pointed arch porch doorway to the south side. There is an offset band beneath an upper stage with two-light cusped and trefoiled louvres. Above is a broach spire with lucarnes. There is a vice (spiral stair) in the angle with the south aisle. The south aisle has a chamfered plinth and a buttress between each bay. There are three two-light cusped and pierced plate tracery windows with plain hoodmoulds and polychromatic arches over. The north aisle has similar detailing to the side elevation, with a shallow lean-to section at the left-hand end. There are three modern skylights to the outer pitch of the north aisle roof. Both aisles have pointed arch windows to their west gable walls with three-light cusped and cinquefoil tracery; the north vestry, under a continuous aisle roof, has a similar window in its east gable wall. The nave breaks forward at the west end. The west window is of four cusped lights with a king mullion and a sunken roundel above pierced by three trefoils. At the east end, the south Lady Chapel has been removed and the pointed arch originally linking it with the south aisle is now glazed to form an exterior window in the east gable wall of the aisle. Similarly, the pointed arch linking it with the chancel has also been glazed, with a glazed doorway and an external access ramp. The chancel has a chamfered plinth and angle buttresses. The east window has four lights with Geometric tracery with plain hoodmoulds and polychromatic arches over. There is a two-light cusped and pierced plate tracery window in the south elevation. The church has corbelled kneelers and coped gables with intermediate stepped kneelers.

INTERIOR: there is a four-bay arcade to the nave with pointed arches and circular columns with chamfered bases and moulded capitals. There is an internal three-light window above the pointed chancel arch. The nave and aisles have scissor-braced roofs, with a plastered chancel ceiling. The chancel has an encaustic tiled floor and a Gothic-style concrete reredos. On the left-hand side of the chancel arch is a timber pulpit with Gothic detailing. The majority of the windows retain stained glass. The nave and the inner pitches of both aisles have modern skylights.

History

The church was built in 1859-60 to designs by the ecclesiastical architects' practice, Weightman and Hadfield. It was extended in 1900-01 by W J Sykes of Hoyland.

In 2003 the church closed for worship. Permission was granted in 2005 to convert the building to office use. The conversion included the demolition of the Lady Chapel on the south side of the chancel and the insertion of a number of temporary office partitions. The refurbishment was completed in 2009.

Reasons for Listing

The former Church of St John the Baptist, Ecclesfield, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Architectural Interest: as a robust, well-designed Gothic church of the mid C19, with landmark tower and broach spire, by well-known ecclesiastical practice Weightman and Hadfield;
* Interior: despite being no longer in ecclesiastical use, the building retains original scissor-braced roofs, good quality stained glass and fixtures and fittings such as the reredos and pulpit.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.