History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Schola Europaea

A Grade II Listed Building in Culham, Oxfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.6555 / 51°39'19"N

Longitude: -1.2574 / 1°15'26"W

OS Eastings: 451465

OS Northings: 195454

OS Grid: SU514954

Mapcode National: GBR 909.0YD

Mapcode Global: VHCY7.5N37

Entry Name: Schola Europaea

Listing Date: 16 March 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1194452

English Heritage Legacy ID: 248816

Location: Culham, South Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, OX14

County: Oxfordshire

District: South Oxfordshire

Civil Parish: Culham

Traditional County: Oxfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire

Church of England Parish: Culham

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Culham

Listing Text

CULHAM ABINGDON ROAD
SU59NW (North side)
2/31 Schola Europaea

_ II

Teachers' Training College, now multi-lingual school. c.1852 by Joseph Clarke,
with C20 additions and alterations. Squared coursed stone; old plain-tile
complex roof; various stone lateral and ridge stacks. Lead and copper lantern on
ridge to left of centre. U-shaped courtyard plan with attached chapel; later
additions closing courtyard. High Victorian Gothic style. 2 storeys and attic;
24-window range. Glazed C20 double doors to 2-centre arched doorway to right of
centre. Complex fenestration: mostly stone mullion and transom windows to ground
floor; trefoil lancets to first floor; gabled dormers to roof. Chapel attached
by covered cloister to right: 4 bays with extension and internal re-arrangement
c.1960 by Seely and Paget. Early English style. Plate tracery windows. Interior:
several stone dog-leg staircases with wrought iron balusters and moulded wood
handrails. Some C19 fireplaces. C20 extensions and additions to rear are not of
special architectural interest. History: founded as the Diocesan Training
college for Schoolmasters. Foundation stone laid on the 28th October 1851 by
Bishop Wilberforce.
(Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, 1974, p.566; V.C.H.: 0xfordshire, Vol.7,
1962; p.38-9).


Listing NGR: SU5146595454

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.