History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Gateway and Boundary Wall to Old Manor House

A Grade II Listed Building in Harlaxton, Lincolnshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.8827 / 52°52'57"N

Longitude: -0.6889 / 0°41'20"W

OS Eastings: 488324

OS Northings: 332499

OS Grid: SK883324

Mapcode National: GBR DQG.6N4

Mapcode Global: WHGKN.DS5X

Entry Name: Gateway and Boundary Wall to Old Manor House

Listing Date: 21 September 1979

Last Amended: 14 November 1994

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1194956

English Heritage Legacy ID: 383012

Location: Harlaxton, South Kesteven, Lincolnshire, NG32

County: Lincolnshire

District: South Kesteven

Civil Parish: Harlaxton

Built-Up Area: Harlaxton

Traditional County: Lincolnshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire

Church of England Parish: Harlaxton St Mary and St Peter

Church of England Diocese: Lincoln

Find accommodation in
Harlaxton

Listing Text

In the entry for:
HARLAXTON RECTORY LANE
SK 9239
(south side)
1315-0/14/209
21/09/79 Gateway and boundary
wall to old manor
house. (Formerly listed as
RECTORY LANE
Gatewayappox80 metres
north of old manor house
II

The last sentence of the description should be amended to read:
" This gateway and wall are a part of the remains of the Old Manor House, demolished c. 1860-
1875 by John Sherwood Gregory."

------------------------------------

HARLAXTON
SK8832 RECTORY LANE
1315-0/14/209 (South side)
21/09/79 Gateway and boundary wall to Old
Manor House
(Formerly Listed as:
RECTORY LANE
Gateway approx 80 metres north of
Old Manor House)
II

Gateway and boundary wall. c1600. Ashlar and coursed squared
stone. Renaissance Revival style. Moulded round arch with
square piers, and blank shields in the spandrels. Above the
cornice, a shouldered round gable with moulded coping and 3
finials. Boundary wall has slab coping. The length bordering
Pond Street has 4 stepped buttresses and 2 small round arched
culvert openings. Total length approx 80M.
This building is all that remains of the Old Manor House,
demolished c1860-1875 by John Sherwin Gregory.
(The Buildings of England: Pevsner N, Harris J & Antram N:
Lincolnshire: London: 1964-1989: 361-362; Rowlands G:
Harlaxton Manor: Harlaxton: 1984-: 20-29).


Listing NGR: SK8832432499

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.