This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.7457 / 52°44'44"N
Longitude: 0.4015 / 0°24'5"E
OS Eastings: 562199
OS Northings: 319158
OS Grid: TF621191
Mapcode National: GBR N3R.SD1
Mapcode Global: WHJP7.47GX
Entry Name: South Gate
Listing Date: 1 December 1951
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1195304
English Heritage Legacy ID: 384203
Location: King's Lynn and West Norfolk, Norfolk, PE30
District: King's Lynn and West Norfolk
Town: King's Lynn and West Norfolk
Electoral Ward/Division: South and West Lynn
Built-Up Area: King's Lynn
Traditional County: Norfolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk
TF6219SW LONDON ROAD
610-1/11/135 (West side)
01/12/51 South Gate
South Gate to town. Late C13, in dangerous condition by 1416
and repaired with stone (surplus to requirements of the Lady
Chapel of St Nicholas). 1437 Robert Hertanger was contracted
to rebuild the gate and in 1520 the gate was substantially
restored and partly rebuilt by Nicholas and Thomas Harmer,
finally altered by provision of pedestrian doorways C19 and
English bond brick with ashlar dressings, the south front
3 storeys with set-offs between each floor. North side. Tall
central pointed arch unmoulded to jambs, wave moulded to arch.
4-centred C19 pedestrian passage arches right and left, that
to left blocked with a late C20 glazed door. Second floor with
two 3-light round-headed windows under square hoods.
Crenellated parapet with corner turrets at each corner. East
and west faces without entrances but punctuated with single or
South front mainly of 1416. Tall central wave-moulded arch
flanked by C19 pedestrain passageways with crenellated
parapets, now blocked. Second floor with two 3-light
round-headed windows under square hoods. String courses
between each floor are continued from earlier facades.
INTERIOR. In 1841 the west side was a through passage and the
winder staircase in north-west corner removed, replaced 1984
with a steel winder. Original disposition restored in 1984:
rectangular heated rooms to ground and first floors at east
and west sides, large upper room over entire width. West
ground floor room. Fireplace in west wall under depressed
4-centred stone arch with hollow mouldings. Pointed brick
relieving arch above. Former bread oven right of this and
right again a lavabo with water outlets to outside. C20
bridging beams and floor above.
First floor rooms of similar disposition: a fireplace, privy
hole and 3 circular gun-ports in splayed recesses. Second
floor room with fireplaces to east and west walls, splayed
window embrasures and rere arches and shallow pitched roof
with 2 tiers butt purlins. Only one of the large tie beams is
not of 1983-4. Scheduled Ancient Monument.
Listing NGR: TF6219919157
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings