This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.7913 / 50°47'28"N
Longitude: -3.6673 / 3°40'2"W
OS Eastings: 282576
OS Northings: 100410
OS Grid: SS825004
Mapcode National: GBR L8.ZGRH
Mapcode Global: FRA 3760.32N
Entry Name: Chapel of St Lawrence
Listing Date: 19 March 1951
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1197082
English Heritage Legacy ID: 387068
Location: Crediton, Mid Devon, Devon, EX17
District: Mid Devon
Civil Parish: Crediton
Built-Up Area: Crediton
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Crediton
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
672-1/3/120 (North side (off))
19/03/51 Chapel of St Lawrence
Chapel. Early C13 origins, said to have been left ruinous
after the 1743 fire of Crediton (old list description), used
as a cottage at one time until thoroughly restored 1920-21 by
Sir Charles Nicholson, restoration paid for by Mrs Drake of
Winswood (q.v.). Now used infrequently by Queen Elizabeth
School. Local volcanic trap and sandstone rubble with ashlar
dressings; pantile roof. Early English Exterior: Largely
rebuilt. plain clasping buttresses. East end has a triple
lancet with double-chamfered lights and a hoodmould. West end
similar with a moulded string at sill level. The north side
appears to contain more original wall masonry than the south.
North door with a double-chamfered 2-centred doorway with a
hoodmould with label stops, flanked by lancet windows with
chamfered frames and hoodmoulds with label stops. Blocked
opening below western lancet. The south side is similar but
with 3 chamfered lancets with hoodmoulds and label
stops;dooray matches that on the north side.
Interior: Plastered walls; windows with deep internal splays.
Detail largely 1920s, all fittings 1920s. A segmental-headed
chamfered recess on the north wall of the chancel has medieval
masonry on the west side with a short section of original
moulded stone string. Internal splays of east and west windows
have medieval chamfers and stops.
Listing NGR: SS8257600410
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings