This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.7903 / 50°47'25"N
Longitude: -3.6561 / 3°39'21"W
OS Eastings: 283365
OS Northings: 100280
OS Grid: SS833002
Mapcode National: GBR L8.ZKMG
Mapcode Global: FRA 3770.1H5
Entry Name: Methodist Church
Listing Date: 2 October 1992
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1197556
English Heritage Legacy ID: 387118
Location: Crediton, Mid Devon, Devon, EX17
District: Mid Devon
Civil Parish: Crediton
Built-Up Area: Crediton
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Crediton
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SS826000 UNION ROAD
672-1/5/166 (North side)
Methodist Church. 1891 (datestone). Flemish bond brick with
local volcanic trap and Ham Hill stone dressings; slate roof
with ornamental ridge tiles; tiled roofs to front bays.
Eclectic mixture of Gothic and Vernacular Revival with some
Plan: rectangular on plan, 5-bay main block with smaller
chancel-like block at the north end. South end has an entrance
narthex between projecting entrance bays.
Exterior: Symmetrical. Gabled to the front with a coped gable
with kneelers, gable filled with volcanic trap brought to
course. Large central Ham Hill rose window in a moulded
3-centred arched architrave has a hoodmould with a
fleur-de-lis finial, the lower spandrels filled with
quatrefoils in roundels. Steps up to an embattled 2-bay
narthex in the centre with moulded stone 2-centred arches and
a central column with moulded capital. To left and right,
projecting stair bays with battered plinths and rock-faced
volcanic trap quoins have hipped tiled roofs with terra cotta
finials. The bays are glazed with timber ribbon windows below
the eaves, returning to left and right, glazed with leaded
panes with plain stained glass. In the centre of each bay the
sills are dropped to form a 2-light window with
cinquefoil-headed lights and 2 transoms. In the narthex
boarded doors to left and right give access to the entrance
bays. The returns are buttressed with a moulded brick band
below the eaves and another, carried out round the butresses,
forming the sills of the first floor windows. Segmental-arched
ground floor windows with high transoms. Similar first floor
windows with stained glass above the transoms. The
lower-roofed block at the north end has a traceried north
Interior: Not inspected but may retain fittings of interest.
Foundation stone laid by Lady Lymington, September 4 1891.
Listing NGR: SS8336500280
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings