This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.7452 / 53°44'42"N
Longitude: -0.3329 / 0°19'58"W
OS Eastings: 510040
OS Northings: 428934
OS Grid: TA100289
Mapcode National: GBR GPN.BV
Mapcode Global: WHGFR.V4N6
Entry Name: No. 79, LOWGATE
Listing Date: 21 January 1994
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1197730
English Heritage Legacy ID: 387662
Location: Kingston upon Hull, HU1
County: City of Kingston upon Hull
Electoral Ward/Division: Myton
Parish: Non Civil Parish
Built-Up Area: Kingston upon Hull
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): East Riding of Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Hull (Lowgate) St Mary the Virgin
Church of England Diocese: York
This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 27/03/2013
This List entry was subject to a Minor Enhancement on 30/03/2017
TA 1028 NW,
KINGSTON UPON HULL,
LOWGATE (West side),
(Formerly listed as City Record Office)
Built 1882, architect Joseph Tiffen, the top storey and corner turret were added in 1908 by Brodrick, Lowther & Walker.
Former Mason's wine merchants' offices and warehouse, later City Record Office (Record Office relocated to Hull History Centre in 2009). Restored and converted c1985. Red brick with ashlar dressings and slate roofs. Blue brick plinth, string courses, cornice and blocking. 5 storeys plus basement; 5x3 windows. Corner site with rounded corner entrance bay. Rounded entrance bay is topped with a single stage round tower with a 3-light window and dentillated cornice and conical roof with finial. On the first floor, a round-headed plain sash with pointed-arched hoodmould, and above, a moulded roundel with a coat of arms and the date 1881. Above again, a segment-headed 2-light window and above again a larger 2-light glazing bar window with keystone. Ashlar entrance with Doric half-columns and pilasters to entablature. Moulded doorcase with double keystone and panelled double doors. Main front, to Lowgate, has shallow pilasters between the 3 centre bays and the end bays. On the first floor, 5 round-arched windows with pointed-arched hoodmoulds, and above, 5 traceried round windows. Above again, 5 segment-headed 2-light casements, and above them, five 2-light glazing bar casements with keystones. On the ground floor, 4 windows with moulded round arches and to left, a former cart entrance with a C20 door and overlights. Basement has 4 openings with chamfered lintels and latticework grilles. Right return, to Guildhall road, has similar fenestration with 3 windows on the first and second floors. On the third floor, 2 segment-headed windows. Above, two 2-light mullioned casements and to their right, a canted oriel window with 4 lights. On the ground floor, a central segment-headed window flanked by single round-arched windows. Basement has 2 openings with chamfered lintels and latticework grilles.
INTERIOR has stone cantilever stair with winders, and some original glazed wooden screens and doors.
Listing NGR: TA1004028934
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings