This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.1956 / 52°11'44"N
Longitude: 0.9496 / 0°56'58"E
OS Eastings: 601686
OS Northings: 259367
OS Grid: TM016593
Mapcode National: GBR SJK.6X3
Mapcode Global: VHKDN.D2VN
Entry Name: Church of St John the Baptist
Listing Date: 9 December 1955
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1198164
English Heritage Legacy ID: 279908
Location: Onehouse, Mid Suffolk, Suffolk, IP14
District: Mid Suffolk
Civil Parish: Onehouse
Traditional County: Suffolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk
Church of England Parish: Onehouse St John the Baptist
Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich
ONEHOUSE FOREST ROAD
TM 05 NW
2/133 Church of St. John the
Parish church, medieval with major alterations of early C19 and 1887-93.
Nave, west tower, south porch; the chancel was rebuilt early C19. Flint
rubble with freestone dressings; the nave is mainly plastered and has a
plaintiled roof. The tower is round and of C12 or earlier. It has C13
pointed windows at belfry level and below on the west side, and a plain tower
arch perhaps also remodelled in C13. The nave has Norman walling; the windows
are of early C19 stucco in the Gothic manner. Nave roof with double collars
to each rafter couple, the lower tier of collars having soulaces; possibly of
C13 origin but may be rebuilt in C19. Early C16 porch in pink/buff brick with
plaintiled roof. 4-centred arched doorway and windows with hoodmoulds;
original roof with moulded purlins and cornice and arch-braced principals.
Plain C13/C14 south doorway with a small stoup beside it in porch. The north
doorway is similar. C12 font with cauldron-type bowl on a chamfered square
stem. Around the rim, 4 carved defaced figures have their arms outstretched
to link hands. One medieval bench end behind the pulpit has a carved dog on
the buttress; the remaining benches are C19. The chancel of early C19 is of
flint rubble with many inclusions of moulded medieval limestone. Dressings of
gault brick. Slated roof. Stuccoed windows in the Perpendicular style.
Listing NGR: TM0168659367
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings